Homemade Incubators

triplepurpose

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
Hi guys,

I am dissatisfied with the commercially available options, or lack thereof, in my area (Hawaii) and looking into the possibilities of building an incubator (for chickens), for about two dozen eggs, just something simple and inexpensive. Anybody out there done this before? Any general tips?
Specifically, I would be super grateful if anyone know anything about what kind of thermostat to use, and how to get ahold of one. Seems to me like that would be the most important piece of equipment to invest in.
Thanks anything you can give me!

Aloha,
Sky

mrsengeseth

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Colorado...but home is Maine
i got my thermostat at a local hardware store.

search for Miss Prissy's incubators. she has one or two in her signature at the end of each of her posts. there's tons of info in her threads.

I made mine using an aquarium.

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Quote:Miss Prissy's bator is very popular. You can use a water heater thermostat, or get some heat rope, I believe it's called.

triplepurpose

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
Thanks guys!

I like the idea of Miss Prissy's incubator, for sure. Simple, basic, inexpensive. I just have to see if I can find the right parts and stuff in the stores here. Hopefully I'll get around to building something soon. I'll let you know how it goes...!
Thanks for all the replies.

Aloha,
Sky

Buckaroo

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Milton Florida
Check your local fish stores, they have fish shipped in some really nice coolers. They just give them away here. Would be great for a home made bator.

Top Bottom