Homemade Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by triplepurpose, Oct 13, 2008.

1. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Hi guys,

I am dissatisfied with the commercially available options, or lack thereof, in my area (Hawaii) and looking into the possibilities of building an incubator (for chickens), for about two dozen eggs, just something simple and inexpensive. Anybody out there done this before? Any general tips?
    Specifically, I would be super grateful if anyone know anything about what kind of thermostat to use, and how to get ahold of one. Seems to me like that would be the most important piece of equipment to invest in.
    Thanks anything you can give me!

Aloha,
    Sky

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

i got my thermostat at a local hardware store.

search for Miss Prissy's incubators. she has one or two in her signature at the end of each of her posts. there's tons of info in her threads.

I made mine using an aquarium.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Miss Prissy's bator is very popular. You can use a water heater thermostat, or get some heat rope, I believe it's called.

5. thegoogers

thegoogers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
  6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Thanks guys!

I like the idea of Miss Prissy's incubator, for sure. Simple, basic, inexpensive. I just have to see if I can find the right parts and stuff in the stores here. Hopefully I'll get around to building something soon. I'll let you know how it goes...!
    Thanks for all the replies.

Aloha,
    Sky

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I do not know anything about incubators, just wanted to say
    [​IMG]

8. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    Check your local fish stores, they have fish shipped in some really nice coolers. They just give them away here. Would be great for a home made bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by