Homemade mayonaise?

I've never used the cooked before so I really couldn't say. I use this recipe but I don't put quite as much mustard as the recipe calls for and I put a little more vinegar and lemon juice than it calls for and I throw in a dash of cayenne pepper. I like my mayo tart and just a little spicy.

This recipe tripled will give you a quart of mayo...for a triple recipe I use 2 teaspoons of dry mustard.

MAYONNAISE

2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup oil
Salt to taste

Put the eggs, vinegar, lemon juice and dry mustard in the food processor and whip it for a second or two to mix it up good. With the processor running drizzle the oil into the eggs in a very thin stream until all the oil is in.

Add a pinch of salt and taste it to see if it needs more.

Some people like to spice their Mayo up a bit with cayenne.

Tip: Mayo keeps 4 weeks in the refrigerator as long as only CLEAN utensils are dipped in it. I put a "due" date on my jar just in case but I’ve never had it last that long.

Quote:
Here is a recipe from The Incredible Edible Egg site for Mayo that includes cooked eggs, if you prefer that....

2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
1 cup cooking oil

In small saucepan, stir together egg yolks, vinegar, water, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper until thoroughly blended.

Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles in 1 or 2 places. Remove from heat. Let stand 4 minutes.

Pour into blender container. Cover and blend at high speed. While blending, very slowly add oil. Blend until thick and smooth. Occasionally, turn off blender and scrape down sides of container with rubber spatula, if necessary.

Cover and chill if not using immediately.
(About 1 1/4 cups)

Non- dairy means no milk.

There is a recipe for miracle whip on one of my mayonaise threads. It is cooked and regular mayo is not.

Quote:
Oops, I knew that, I think what I was typing and what i was thinking were two different things.

Anyway, you got me in the mood for BLTs so i'm going to give this a go!

smile.png

Ok I made it and used Miss Priss's recipe....it worked PERFECT!!!! I am sooo thrilled!!!! Mason jar I think was the trick....not even 5 seconds into mixing and it was SOOO thick!

Back
Top Bottom