Homemade no spill chick feeder (that works)

Very nice design and fabrication!

Mine is similar...they still peck and pile and drag feed over the edge.
Here's what I did to keep them from doing that.
Split some 3/8-1/2" tubing..notch the top edge to keep the tubing in place.
upload_2019-8-11_17-44-51-png.1875269
How high from the floor is your cutout (including a clever tubing to protect chicken’s neck from loosing feathers!)?

Sorry aar, I meant to ask the cutout hight from the floor of the 5 gallon bucket. I can adjust the height of the whole feeder as my chicks grow, now they are about 6 weeks old.
With crumble I'd start about 1/2 inch inch but be ready to maybe adjust it up.

In my no bill feeder I used the 90s and I think I have mine at 1.5 or 2 inches feeding pellets. Been so long since I made mine I really don't remember exactly.

I read your article, but didn’t see the size of the opening on the bottom of 2” pvc tube. Of hand, if in scale, it looks like being about 1” high.
is this about right?
Says right above the dimensioned drawing.
"Notches where feed comes out are about 1" wide at bottom and 1" tall.
Start notches smaller then enlarge until you find the right size for the feed you are using."

Says right above the dimensioned drawing.
"Notches where feed comes out are about 1" wide at bottom and 1" tall.
Start notches smaller then enlarge until you find the right size for the feed you are using."
Thank you. I think I will start with 1” tall and 1” wide at the botto. I assume that would be adequate with chicken starter as well as the chicken maintenance feed.

Thank you. I think I will start with 1” tall and 1” wide at the botto. I assume that would be adequate with chicken starter as well as the chicken maintenance feed.
I've only used crumble in it, if it's extra dusty and humid it can plug up.
Another note that is not in the article, might want to use tubing that is larger than 1/2" dia,
one bird can still dig up a pile and drag it out of the feeder.
I haven't experimented with a solution for that.

Back
Top Bottom