Homemade pvc quail feeder - need help

JayZay

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2018
Friday Harbor, WA - USA
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and also new to quail. My wife and I are going to be obtaining some coturnix quail at the end of the month and so I have been building a quail hutch over the last couple weekends to house them once they are past the brooding stage.
I have seen some homemade pvc feeders on the web and figured I'd have a go at making one myself, but I'm having issues with the feed building up and clogging at the "T". I'm wondering if I could get some input on this matter - Do I need to have a completely vertical pipe rather than a 45 before the "T", or perhaps a larger diameter and longer pipe used? (the pipe used is 2" diameter). The reason I have a 45 degree elbow before the "T" is to clear the metal roof which has some overhang.
Thanks,
-Jason

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    888.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 173
I haven't used one myself but I've noticed one of my friends has a homemade pipe feeder. They've made it a curved L shape.
Hard to explain so I've drawn a terrible picture which probably won't help anymore lol

IMG_3102.JPG

So here's the updated version - seems to flow just fine! It probably helps that it is shorter in length and the feed doesn't have to travel as far. Will try connecting it to the hutch tomorrow for a final test.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 156
I tried to build one similar to your first one but I had the same issue. The food never got past the first hole I cut so they could only feed one at a time. Looks like your second design should work a little better.

I have a design that I've been using for a while now that works great. There is little to no wasted food. You can see it in post #1 and post #10 in this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-2-0.1231366/

I tried to build one similar to your first one but I had the same issue. The food never got past the first hole I cut so they could only feed one at a time. Looks like your second design should work a little better.

I have a design that I've been using for a while now that works great. There is little to no wasted food. You can see it in post #1 and post #10 in this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-2-0.1231366/

Thanks for sharing the idea, that definitely looks like a sweet setup! I'll probably try this feeder out again and make sure it works now that it's attached to the hutch, but if not I'd consider trying a design like yours.
Thanks

Thanks for sharing the idea, that definitely looks like a sweet setup! I'll probably try this feeder out again and make sure it works now that it's attached to the hutch, but if not I'd consider trying a design like yours.
Thanks
How is it working? I need to find a design that can enter through the side and not the top but still allow gravity to work. I love mdees design but it won't work for a lower cage :-(

Back
Top Bottom