Homemade spill free duckling waterer...

I'm not sure that is even possible as they are messy creatures.
lol.png
I've been working on the same thing and haven't come up with any ideas. However I've been focusing on how to contain the mess. I'm working on some ideas currently but nothing decided on yet.

jeremy

I secure a piece of fencing on the top of their small bucket waterer. This way they can only get their heads into the water. While it doesn't eliminate the problem it does help.
The breeder where we got our geese had a good idea. They took buckets and drilled holes in the side. The goslings could only put their heads through the holes.

I saw some a guy built,he built a box just big enough to fit over chosen waterer and made hole just big enough for the heads but not the body..worked very well.

I read somewhere on here that the waterer should be put on a wire floor to allow the water to pass through and not puddle. My ducks are just plain messy, but they are so cute while splashing in the water.

Quote:
That's what I do - but make the holes small at first, and increase the size as the ducks grow. I've had day-old ducklings squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter - luckily I found them just fine, inside the jug splashing around (just like in lmiersbond's picture!
lol.png
), but they could have drowned!
hmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a cookie sheet under the feed and water for the little ones. For the big ones get a large clear plastic tub and cut holes into the sides the size of soda cans each. Put the food and water dish inside of it, cover with the lid and that is it. Easy to rinse and to keep clean.
Katharina

I put 4 ounce ball canning jars down deep into my bedding. I have never had one spill. They can not get into them and they stay dry. This is the cleanest method I have found. I use it on my geese, turkeys, and bantams too.
57076_holderread_ducks_035.jpg
57076_holderread_ducks_040.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom