Homemade stimulation toys for autism! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by erijn5, Sep 22, 2009.

1. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    I have a cousin that is autistic. She is now 20yrs old, and her birthday is rapidly approaching. We have bought toys that she does not play with so why waste the money? [​IMG] I figure hey I can make something simple that will keep her interest way longer than an expensive toy!!! Right?

She has graduated from regular high school and now holds a part time job with her peers being autistic also. She loves her new social life and getting along great.

Her favorite things to stimulate is flipping pages in books, playing her PS, just simple things. She is not an outdoor girls by any means. Bugs scare her, [​IMG] It is hot, [​IMG] It's raining, [​IMG] the list could go on and on. [​IMG] Definaltly not outdoorsy!!!! [​IMG]

Can anyone give me some tips on homemade toys that would keep her having fun!!! I have scanned the net looking but I figure maybe someone has good info laying around! [​IMG]

HELPER BEWARE: SHE DOES NOT LIKE TO GET DIRTY!! [​IMG]

I NEED HELP PLEASE, can you see why? Thank you!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I know nothing about autism, so ignore my post if doesn't help. Could you give her items that would make her feel pretty, like lotions or hair bows? If she likes flipping through books maybe you could get her a book with lots of colorful pictures?

3. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Quote:My mom has already got her lotion and shampoo's. She has a short bob haircut. Her favorite book to flip through is the bible because it's pages are so thin....do you see my point, she is soooo picky. [​IMG]

This was so much easier when she was little and you could just buy her clothes and blocks!! [​IMG]

Thanks for the ideas though!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I don't know about homemade gifts but how about a gift card. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Quote:That is a great idea, but that is what I usually do... to the movie theater, Wal-Mart.....I just wanted to give her something more useful, and something unique. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Maybe I will have to resort to that......I'll give some time.

6. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    What about one of those I Spy toys - we made them using fleece, adding a "window" with clear vinyl at the fabric store, filled it with rice and all kinds of little objects to find.

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Would she like to make one of those fleece blankets you tie?
    Here's a better idea of project... see the fleece and you tie them together to make a blanket. It's a no sew.
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat993844&PRODID=xprd1036810

Here are some cute patterns:

butterflies in vivid red/black/white pattern:
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3100&PRODID=xprd851052

At my dr.'s speech path. I've seen big plastic totes w/lids (like the long slender ones you can slide under your bed) filled with beans and then they have like rubber/plastic finger toys in bright colors like bears, or fish, or dinosaurs, or cars buried in the beans. It's fun to dig your hands down and feel for them.

Remember those pin art things? I see them with plastic needles in bright colors at Target.
    http://www.target.com/Motorized-Loc...pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&field_keywords=pin art

whoa... that turned out to be a long link.

would she like to learn to knit?
    http://www.target.com/Learn-Knit-Pu...1VC38T7YXB528&field_keywords=knit blanket kit

I just found this on the Michaels craft store web site... don't see a price but as far as tactile goes... I think it would be neat to have a leather stamp kit... then she can write things like her name and feel the letters imprints with her fingers.
    http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0746&channelid=

Just some ideas....

me,
    g

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Maple..wheres the link on how to make those blankets?? It just showed the fabric... [​IMG]

9. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Quote:Thank you thank you thank you!! Great ideas!!

10. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Quote:It comes with the kit... it's really easy though... I forget how fat you make the strips and how long exactly... I can go undo one of my blankets and measure... but tomorrow. or I'll ask my mom if she remembers.

You put a pattern fleece on top of a solid fleece and cut all the way around and then tie the knots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by