1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

homemade vs store bought incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ccarver80, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ccarver80

ccarver80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    Looking at incubators on amazon the ones within my budget $150 have some real negative reviews some have quit ... others have over heated ... then under heated...

What everyone's opinion on a Styrofoam cooler, light bulb, and a dish of water?

Anyone have good luck with there homemade one?

Thanks

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    My kids have one going right now-not doing so well. This type of home made incubator is easily affected by changing room temperatures; the temperature of the incubator goes up and down with the temperature of its surroundings. However, we made one a number of years ago that was successful. The thing is, if you try the styrofoam cooler incubator it must be in a room where the temperature is constant.

At the top of this page is the word, "coops". If you click there you will find a section on incubators. You might find this interesting as it shows a number of home made incubators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by