Homemade waterer help

Airilith

Songster
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
I've decided to make one of those bucket waterers that I've seen on here. But I'm apparently waterer challenged.

I got my bucket (with air-tight lid; it's one of those icing buckets y'all recommended) and plastic planter dish. I drilled a hole (about 3/16 or 1/4 inch, not sure) on the side of the bottom of the bucket. I filled the bucket, put the top on, placed it in the dish, and nothing's coming out!!! I get a few drops then nothing. I tried cracking the lid, and as expected it flooded the dish.

What am I missing? Did I drill the hole too small? Should there be more than one hole?

Boy I feel silly for not being able to put together something that seems so commonplace!!

Please help! Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks Cin! That's what I thought. What size do you think I should go with? I don't want to make it too big!

ETA: And how do you attach the dish to the bottom of the bucket? Won't screwing it make the bucket leak? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Cin! That's what I thought. What size do you think I should go with? I don't want to make it too big!

ETA: And how do you attach the dish to the bottom of the bucket? Won't screwing it make the bucket leak? Thanks again!

You could use bolts and wide area (fender) washers along with rubber washers,... or,... Silicone sealant would work too.

Last edited:
What size do you think I should go with?

1/2 inch should work.

The distance from the bottom of your dish to the top of the hole will regulate the depth of the water​

Thanks guys!!!

I didn't have a 1/2" drill bit. So I used my 3/8" bit and just wiggled it to make the hole bigger. For those without the proper sized bit, I made my hole big enough to put my index finger (I'm a lady, so fellas you can make your holes a bit smaller than that
smile.png
) in about halfway and it works great now.

Don't feel bad. I knew I needed to keep it warm in the winter so I drilled a big hole in the top for one of those floating water heaters......Well.....It didn't work
smile.png
. could have kicked myself. the bucket still makes a good tool bucket though. Now I have this one. Works great and the girls seem to love it. I use heat tape and a warming mat to keep it from freezine.

51148_100_0627.jpg

Question. Why must the water bucket be upside down? Would it be easier to drill holes near the bottom of the bucket, for an easy refill? I think I must have missed that day in class, sorry if already covered.

Back
Top Bottom