Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Just strain it. Powdered milk is bad news (the dehydrating process oxidizes the cholesterol in the milk).

I have noticed some of the commercial companies thicken their yogurt with pectin, but I have never tried it.

I just made my first batch of cottage cheese (made of goat milk) Yea!!!
big_smile.png

Turned out quite good. Daughter likes it, "It's squeaky, Mama!"

Hi everyone!! Does anyone know how much pectin you would use in place of the powdered milk to make a quart of yogurt? I have made it about 4 times and found that by using greek style for starter (Chobani brand) I get a nice thick yogurt which I prefer. I also make mine in my dehydrator and it only take about 3-4 hours to make. Can you add sugar to sweeten it before cooking? I find that adding sweetners after its done makes it thinner than I like it. I love my home made yogurt!! I also would like to know if you pour off the whey, does that affect the yogurt in any way other than making it thicker? I mean, the does it take away any of the health benefits? Sounds like a crazy question I guess, but I am wondering!!!!!

Quote:
I use one envelop of plain gelatin in mine if I want it thicker. Also, try using jelly/jams to sweeten, just stir in when you get ready to have some.

I use a tip for keeping the whey from coming to the top of my sour cream and it works. After taking out the sour cream - smooth the top flat again and no whey will separate. I'm wondering now if that would work for yogurt.

I have a special yogurt Thermos for making mine. It works great and you can make 2 quarts at one time.

Sandee

I also would like to know if you pour off the whey, does that affect the yogurt in any way other than making it thicker? I mean, the does it take away any of the health benefits?

Well, it does lower the carb count a bit. I don't think you are straining off much if any nutrients.

You CAN save that whey and use it to ferment vegetables.
http://food.hamtramckstar.com/fermented-ginger-carrots
I LOVE ginger carrots
big_smile.png

I finally got to make my first ever batch of yogurt (with goat milk). It has been in culturing for 2 hours in the heated cooler, so I have a while to go yet before it is done. I am having a hard time not checking on it!!!! I feel like a little kid with no patience to let it do it's thing. Did anyone else have this impatience problem??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom