Homes for roosters

FourandSix

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Eugene, Oregon
I wasn't sure where to put this. I have 4 chickens, and ended up with two roosters. I can't have roosters where I live so I need to find them a home. I raised them and so I did not want them to go somewhere where they would be eaten but everyone I have talked to so far has said they will be eaten if they take them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going on vacation in two weeks and would like to find somewhere for them to go before then.

Try posting in all your local feed stores.
I found homes for mine through people my DH works with luckily. I do think you could find a rancher or farmer that needs a rooster if you try the ads in the stores.

I would put in the add to good home only not for food and put a price right above what it would cost to buy a chicken in the store. And add some good pictures. Pictures sell the bird. Good luck.

I think you can't put a stipulation like that on selling a rooster. Other than being raised by you is there something very special about this chicken? Is it purebred or extremely gentle? Then ad that, but once you give it away you cannot retain control over it's fate....and maybe your better off not asking. What if it turns mean and the new owners have to make a decision...can they bring it back to you? It's always hard to let a pet go, but you also have to accept that it's out of your hands.

Last October I rehomed my rooster Charles. I had asked around and called feed supply stores. One store told me I could bring him in and since he was a Dominique that somebody would surely want him....I wasn't to keen on just leaving him....then I found a farm that takes in animals. I do pay for his keep there. This way I know he isn't going to be adopted out to whoever.

I empathize greatly. I have a snuggly, beautiful 3 month old Buff Orp roo that I have to find a home for because we were expecting only female sexed chicks. We are not set up for a roo, especially since he found his hormones and our two girls are not mature enough to handle his love dances. He should not go to anyone's freezer. Perfect temperment and aesthethics for making fantastic offspring. I am trying local & county wide petting zoos, posting pic with him snuggling w/bio at feed store and the 4H fair to show individuals video clips of his awsomeness. I want to network in a way that will preserve his life ~

I empathize greatly. I have a snuggly, beautiful 3 month old Buff Orp roo that I have to find a home for because we were expecting only female sexed chicks. We are not set up for a roo, especially since he found his hormones and our two girls are not mature enough to handle his love dances. He should not go to anyone's freezer. Perfect temperment and aesthethics for making fantastic offspring. I am trying local & county wide petting zoos, posting pic with him snuggling w/bio at feed store and the 4H fair to show individuals video clips of his awsomeness. I want to network in a way that will preserve his life ~
welcome-byc.gif

Where are you located? Putting your location in your profile might help find a byc'er who wants him.

Unfortunately, the reality for most unwanted roosters is the freezer. They are a dime a dozen, and this time of year especially, hard to find a home for as everyone who has hatched out or bought chicks this spring are finding cockerels in their midst. You can advertise for a good home, list all his beautiful qualities and even include a picture. What you can't do is dictate his fate after he leaves your place. Sure, you can put a price on him that is "right above what it would cost to buy a chicken in the store", but if he's not something special like a rare breed, show quality bird, you're still not going to get rid of him. Your best bet - in my opinion - is to call someone who has already offered to take them and don't ask any questions.

Back
Top Bottom