Homeschooling?

Sumi - I had the experience of both public school and homeschool as I was growing up. Public school wasn't as bad 30 years ago as it is now, but I truly enjoyed the homeschool experience. I'm a person who learns better through hands on and one on one communication. My parents made certain that I was well socialized through youth groups etc. I did graduate when I was 16. I found the Horizons curriculum to be fabulous for my daughter for pre-school http://www.nestlearning.com/horizon-preschool-complete-curriculum-and-multimedia-set_p182904.aspx

and
am using the same curriculum for kindergarten for her this year. I love that school days can be flexible. If we have a day where it is sunny and bright, we can bring our learning outdoors for the day. For science (in conjunction with curriculum) I can take her straight to nature and let her see how things work right then and there. For history, we can travel! New England is filled with historical places that we'll be learning about this year. I do a lot of learning through play with her and she catches on better that way rather than sat at desk or a table for three hours straight. That does have it's time and it's place, but kids need to develop a love for learning, not have their naural curiousity squashed.

Homeschooling is NOT always the best fit for every child and parent. Many of th questions I've run up against are:

What about socialization? Well, there's co-op, swim-n-gym, play group, youth group, Heritage Girls or Girl/Boy Scouts.

What about her learning about "real life"? Whew! Just because a child is homeschooled doesn't mean they don't have a grip on reality. We have done field trip to : the fire department police, department, military bases, etc.

What about learning skills that will allow her be an adult? She's five. She doesn't need to be an adult yet, but okay - grocry store, laundermat, cooking at home with Mom, being responsible for feeding and watering pets, cleaning her room, visiting people in the hospital, earning an allowance. Those all work.

Beneficially, I have found that her ability to reason is on scale with a much older child. I do love that we can just take a day and GO somewhere, a field trip to the zoo, etc. Something to consider would be to look into the Homeschool Legal Defense Association, see what the laws in your state and county are. These folks are incredible advocates and will fight for your right to homeschool (legally of course!)

http://www.hslda.org/default.aspx

We home school. This will be our 4th year. I use amblesideonline.com for history, reading, culture, and MEP for our math. Both are free-and there's lots of support. There's a great website for free domain audio books-librivox.org. I love this resource!

Stacey

I homeschooled my daughter last year for kindergarten, and this I will home school my son also who is starting kindergarten, so we will be doing first grade and kindergarten. We absolutely love it. No stress in the morning trying to get up and get everything done in time to be at school (who cares if we don't start till 10?), we have the freedom to take a bit longer on "sticky/tricky" lessons, and I can cater to my childrens individual likes! My daughter loves to NOT be sitting at the table, so we do all sorts of math games sitting on the floor. Science takes place out side usually. Social Studies almost always involves a trip to the library and research on the computer and tying her social studies lessons into her own life so some walks down memory lane haha
We are going through the outreach program offered throuigh our public school district. They provide the curriculum and weekly meetings with a teacher. We are fortunate enough that the teacher spent years teaching in a one room school house and is great at tailoring the curriculum to each individual child.
Homeschooling has been so RIGHT for our family. We are really fostering "family comes first" and the kids are getting a much more rounded education. I'm not sure if I will always be able to homeschool, but for now this is a perfect fit.

Back
Top Bottom