Homesteading with bees. Do they bother your chickens?

thanks DebB and Life is Good. Yes I have taken books and cd's out and am fascinated with the creature. Im still reading; everything i can get my hands on. We went to a local bee keepers club meeting. we are signing up for the beekeeping course being offered. Looking forward to it.

Way to go best way to learn is hands on, I was in my 3rd year with bees before I could say I was proficient, first couple of years in spring they would swarm and you loose half your hive which cuts your honey production even if you catch the swarm now I just have two double hives bottom box the brooder and top box 10 frames for honey which I raid twice, once early spring and again late summer to mid autumn and collect 40kilo from each box which I give most away you learn by your mistakes best of luck oldbird 1

I agree, education is important. Beekeeping by trial and error is frustrating, expensive, and heartbreaking.
That being said, there are more than one way to keep bees, and the wider your source of education, the better. Local clubs and classes are wonderful, if a bit biased towards traditional keeping practices. I would ask that you at least look into natural keeping methods, and the reasons for them, too. Check out Biobees.com. The idea there is to let the bees be bees, and interfere as little as possible. I've had not mite problems at all(conventional hives have serious hive issues, and deal with it by putting pesticides INSIDE the hive!). I've also had zero winter losses since I've been doing this, no swarms in the spring, and my hives are not the least bit aggressive. The trade off is I only get about 10 kilo of honey from each hive, instead of the 40 oldbird gets.
Either way, kudos to you for wanting to keep bees, and double kudos for educating yourself first!

I am completely new to beekeeping, but I am thinking of getting a hive in my backyard. I obvious have to do more research, but I love the idea of beekeeping. I was wondering if there was a species that would be easy enough for a beginner to handle, but might also keep away my neighbors' dogs? They love to run into my yard, into my garage, poop everywhere, bark constantly, etc. I also can't leave my chickens alone because I worry that the dogs will attack them. I'd really love to see them scared away from my yard.

Good on you thinking of keeping bees I can highly recommend them and they wont worry your chickens, regards to non aggressive bees this is governed by the Queen so when you buy your first hive be sure they are from a keeper with docile bees or go along to a apiary club and they will see you set up right plus you will meet some lovely people in regards to the dogs put up an electric fence you will only need it switched on for a couple of days and they will stay clear hope you follow on with the bees as they are a great and rewarding hobby plus there is a decline in bees all over the world so all the more bee keepers all the merrier oldbird.

Excellent bee keeping info here! I don't have bees yet but neighbors do and they suggested never using smoke when harvesting honey. It frightens the bees into thinking their hive is on fire.

Instead if you need to distract bees to get into the hive, spray them with a mist organic sugar dissolved in water. They spend that time cleaning off the tasty droplets and are happy not stressed. :)

Thanks, I am just reluctant to buy an electric fence (because why should I have to buy an electric fence to keep THEIR dogs out of MY yard), so I'm looking for another alternative. A family friend keeps bees and was telling us about all the benefits, I was just hoping they might do something about the dogs as well.

Did you tell them their dogs shouldn't be in your yard and that you are getting bees and want them protected?

If you allow them to have their dog run through your yard then it seems to be on you to protect your bees, by buying a fence for them.

Though I think if the does gets stung he will soon learn not to mess with those "weird buzzing things that bit my nose". ;)

Verbalize your concerns with your neighbors if they are decent people you can come to an agreement.

Thanks, I am just reluctant to buy an electric fence (because why should I have to buy an electric fence to keep THEIR dogs out of MY yard), so I'm looking for another alternative.  A family friend keeps bees and was telling us about all the benefits, I was just hoping they might do something about the dogs as well.

Did you tell them their dogs shouldn't be in your yard and that you are getting bees and want them protected?

If you allow them to have their dog run through your yard then it seems to be on you to protect your bees, by buying a fence for them.

Though I think if the does gets stung he will soon learn not to mess with those "weird buzzing things that bit my nose".
wink.png

Verbalize your concerns with your neighbors if they are decent people you can come to an agreement.
Oh they are completely aware that we do not like their dogs in our yard. We confront them every time we see it. They are not decent people.

Hi mate the dogs will definitely stay away from the immediate hive area but I am sure the bees will not keep the dogs out of your yard regards to the electric fence my son had a lion size dog a number of years ago who kept taking clothes off the clothes line so he borrowed a electric fence from a mate and set it around the line after one shock the dog never went anywhere near the line again was very comical after that he put a dummy line up for a few weeks and no more problems other than that just talk to your neighbours nicely as the dogs are their responsibility hope you find a solution but good luck with the Bees oldbird.

Back
Top Bottom