Homicidal Broody Hen

Hannahborsi

Hatching
Sep 24, 2021
My broody bantam has been sitting on eggs for a couple of weeks, yesterday an egg hatched and she tried to kill the chick. We tried to sneak it under her at night to get her to accept it but in the morning she tried to kill it again. Today she abandoned her other eggs, she still hasnt gone back to the nest. I moved the eggs under the heat lamp with the baby chick. Temp reads 101-102 where they are resting. Will the eggs still hatch?

My broody bantam has been sitting on eggs for a couple of weeks, yesterday an egg hatched and she tried to kill the chick. We tried to sneak it under her at night to get her to accept it but in the morning she tried to kill it again. Today she abandoned her other eggs, she still hasnt gone back to the nest. I moved the eggs under the heat lamp with the baby chick. Temp reads 101-102 where they are resting. Will the eggs still hatch?
Unfortunately not all hens make good moms. Trying to incubate and hatch under a heat lamp isn't impossible but it is more difficult. I'd suggest an incubator incase this happens again with a broody.

Very young hens will sometimes do this, also if a chick hatches with a deformity some hens will kill it or abandon it. A young hen with her first hatch sometimes thinks the chick is trying to steal her eggs and will attack it. Usually by the time she broods the second time she won't do this again. If she does it the second time she becomes chicken dumplings

I have a half silkie half naked neck hen just kill 2 freshly hatched chicks so I made a makeshift incubator for two eggs that had pipped and one is hatching now!
(She's still sitting on the other 8)

BUT my makeshift incubator has an exposed light bulb and shallow water dish (for heat & humidity) so is it better to leave the chick in it until dry, or move it immediately into a (safe) warmed brooder?

I have a half silkie half naked neck hen just kill 2 freshly hatched chicks so I made a makeshift incubator for two eggs that had pipped and one is hatching now!
(She's still sitting on the other 8)

BUT my makeshift incubator has an exposed light bulb and shallow water dish (for heat & humidity) so is it better to leave the chick in it until dry, or move it immediately into a (safe) warmed brooder?
So sorry to hear this, i guess I would put the wee ones in a proper brooder if it were me.

Is this a first time mama?

Back
Top Bottom