Homicidal hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickalicia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have this hen who is about ten months old Recently she has killed a chick from a broody. I have moved the mother and chicks to a safer secure area inside coop. The homicidal hen looks where they used to be an. Also looks in where other broody hens are sitting like she is searching for chicks. I had separated her and the rooster from the others for about a week. She never layed eggs nor did I see the rooster "be" with her. I do see him "be" with other broody hen that shares a nest with another broody hen. Is it possible that the homicidal hen won't lay eggs? I also read that once they do kill chicks they always will. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

This is that hen. I don't know exactly her breed She acts different from the other hens like she's frantic about something. Unsettled

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I had one like that last spring, she was only like 4-5 months though. She was a mix breed but should would catch other hens' chicks and shake them. She lives in the turkey pen now.

3. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Wonder why they do that or don't even lay eggs. Lol yes I read when they get like that make a soup. Lol

4. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    She was almost soup lol but the turkeys keep her in line, she thinks she's a turkey now and started laying eggs too!

5. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Wow. That's funny!! Maybe you will end up with a henurkey. Lol hen+turkey =henurkey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by