1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hommage to Lucy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mirjam, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mirjam

mirjam Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    My gently BR Lucy of nearly 3 months stopped walking today. At about 2 weeks old I noticed that her legs were not as steady as they should have been. Gradually her toes started curling in and then her hocks became weaker all the while she was able to keep up with her flock of otherwise healthy chickens. But for a few days now she had becoming ever more unsteady and she sat down and rested a lot. I had been bandaging her toes in the attempt to stabilize her feet and it helped to a degree, but did not prevent her feet from becoming more crippled as time went on. As a result of me handling her more than than the rest of the flock, she became especially friendly and trusting and we enjoyed to sit together. On a level unexplained to me we clicked and she became my little friend being the first and the last by the fence when I would come around to give out treats or just sit and watch the feathered gang.

I had been struggling with the knowledge that the time would come where she would not be able to walk and to the things chickens do best: walk and peck and walk and peck. I probably have been struggling as much as my Lucy only I new what would lie ahead. And today her life came to and end. My husband knew my pain and Lucy's loss of quality in life - and took on the deed while I was at work.

She was a special little bird that despite her handicap took life in big big strides. She was respected by the flock and even tried to sleep on the roost, only most of the time she would grudgingly rest in the nesting box which from a chicken point of view was not the proper place for the night. But every night again she stubbornly tried to roost up with the flock.

I know that not all of you take a death of a chicken to heart as I and that is fine, we are all different, but I still wanted to share the life of a special bird . May she find peace in eternity and may her body will feed the earth.

These were taken a month ago when she was about 7 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    I am sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. I feel so much of your pain with this decision. I may be forced to make it myself with my injured rooster, Zane, and I love that rooster alot. (((hugs)))

4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh, I am so sorry. She is a beautiful girl, and sounds like she had a wonderful life with you, as short as it seems to have been. They just work their way into our hearts don't they? Lucy was a very special girl and I know you will miss her. I am glad you posted her picture. Blessings to you.

Anne

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    What a beautiful and sad story.

I’m so sorry for your loss; a friend is a friend and it doesn’t matter if they are people or animals it hurts when we loose one.

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I went through the very same thing just today........I feel the loss you feel.

So Sorry.

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    What a beautiful tribute to your girl. Sorry for your loss.

8. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    She was a beautiful bird. A lot of us have struggled with injured birds that we love dearly. Speckled Hen being one, myself, you, and many others. I haven't ever had to cull a bird, but sometime I know I will. It is something that we must all realize is best for the bird and yourself. Of course it is incredibly painful to have lost a very important bird, but your friend also, but it is even more painful to watch them suffer from day to day, when they could be put to rest, out of pain and happy.

Just remember, she's in the big 'ole chicken coop in the sky.

[​IMG]

9. mirjam

mirjam Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    Thank you all for your kind words. Sometimes I wish I could muster my emotional connection to the critter world and toughen up. I know there are a bunch of you out there who have been through the same. And for as long as we keep animals as pets we have to make that journey over and over again. For some reason it doesn't get easier and it really sucks!
    And again, thank you all for your hugs and my heart goes out to all who face the same dilemma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by