Homosexual behavior in pigeons?

silenceofmind

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2019
After seeing a lot (and I mean A Lot) of homosexual behavior in my pigeons, I was wondering if anyone else has documented evidence of homosexuality in them? I've seen cocks courting other cocks incessantly, cocks treading other cocks, and hens pairing with hens and then continuing to attempt nesting behavior with other hens fairly often in my loft. It seems to be that the show lines that are most receptive to homosexual behavior, as racing homers tend to stick to male/female pairs. Just interested in what others have seen! (I have a video of a cock courting another cock in my loft, may post it if I can get it to upload)

I have seen same sex partnering when there was a shortage of opposite sex candidates. I only kept homing pigeons, and never bred for showing.
Since I did not breed show pigeons, I do not know much about how to achieve certain looks. Since show pigeons are primarily for the looks,,, maybe peeps inbreed their stock to achieve their desired results.. :idunno
Inbreeding does not produce winning bloodlines in racing pigeons. That translates also to poor homing skills as well. That can also be assumed that many other pigeon actions that would occur naturally, may have altered changes.
Silenceofmind, do you raise your pigeons for SHOW??? and do you keep charts and records how your pigeons pair up?? If you use breeding cages, you have control which birds are forced to pair up. This is ideal way to prevent inbreeding most easily.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I have a lesbian pair of pigeons, and there is no shortage of males in the loft. I tried separating them and them pairing them up with suitable mates for 2 breeding seasons, but it always ended up them beating up the males and getting back with each other.

They have proved very useful as foster parents many times, so they have their advantages.

Back
Top Bottom