1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

honeynut cherrios

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newchicks, Oct 5, 2008.

1. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    I was having my breakfast outside on the patio with my 2 girls hanging around hoping for a treat ..I didn't have any but the honeynut cherrios in my bowl. So I handed them a couple and they gobbled them up and then I gave them a few more, and then I tossed a few in the grass for them to search for. They seem to be fine, but did I make a boo boo giving them the honey nut cherrios, because they have some sugar soating on them?[​IMG]

2. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    I hope not!!! My DH gave the chickens some of those [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

nah, they should be fine. My chickens will NOT eat Cheerios. They look at them sideways and walk around them, but won't eat them. Weird, huh? [​IMG]

4. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    They'll be fine. My birds always get the end of the bag of any cereal we have and that does include HN Cheerios.

Donna:)

5. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Oh yea, Oh yea, Thanks for reassuring me, I feel much better, and what an easy cheep treat. I love sitting outside with them on the patio in the am, and now I can share my cherrios with them:weee

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    There is another thread here about people giving their chickens cheerios so I think you are okay with it.[​IMG]

7. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I throw them to my ducks all the time and the chickens are right there snatching them up. No harm ever came. My flock likes them so much I go to Big Lots in the summer and get the really big boxes for like a dollar and toss them out as treats.

8. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I get a lot of free cereal and you'd think my chickens would love it. Mine do not have a sweet tooth. I'll dump a box of cereal (HN and others including Raisin Bran) and they act all excited for 5 minutes and pick it up and drop it. What a shame. They like nice and expensive whole grain bread though...[​IMG]

9. silkie-mom

silkie-mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    South central Virginia
    I read somewhere that chickens cannot taste "sweet".

I was thinking about trying some rice krispies.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:I do the same thing each morning. My little Dominique sits in my lap while I drink my coffee...she is fascinated by the whole coffee drinking process. I share my breakfast with them too.

They love cheerios, granola and cinnamon Life. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by