Honking and mouth open. What is it

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
My Delaware is making a honking and then opening her mouth and kind of looks like gagging. She does it over and over but eats and drinks. Why is it only my Delaware that gets sick and in trouble? Grr. Anyway, I gave her some mineral oil and yogurt in case of impacted or sour crop and she's chowing down on that. Could it be something else? Thanks guys!

The two things that come to mind are maybe something got stuck in her throat? I have read accounts of seeds and biscuits getting stuck in the throat, etc. My chickens will sometimes even eat a mouse whole. Makes me worry about them.

Or hopefully it isn't gapeworm (you can search BYC for info on that if you wish).

Respiratory disease can cause coughing, but that doesn't really seem to be what you are describing.

Last edited:
Well, it was very hot, and this little gal has had heat stroke in her short lifetime as well. It did stop. I'm cleaning everything today and I might give her a cool bath as well. She's completely brown, probably from trying to stay cool.

Back
Top Bottom