Honking cinnamon queen

Nov 11, 2018
Hi there!! I let my ladies out of the coop this morning and noticed one of my ladies was honking. Not frequent enough for me to even get a recording of it. She does it once every 5 minutes or so... I've never seen this before. We live in north Florida. On our third night of weather below 50° F. She seems otherwise fine, eating, drinking, grazing, hanging out with the other ladies. She is the only one doing this, out of my 8 birds. No new birds in the flock. No changes in diet. They are due for a worming. We had hurricane Micheal a few weeks ago, but everyone has been accounted for and has been happy/healthy.

Hi there!! I let my ladies out of the coop this morning and noticed one of my ladies was honking. Not frequent enough for me to even get a recording of it. She does it once every 5 minutes or so... I've never seen this before. We live in north Florida. On our third night of weather below 50° F. She seems otherwise fine, eating, drinking, grazing, hanging out with the other ladies. She is the only one doing this, out of my 8 birds. No new birds in the flock. No changes in diet. They are due for a worming. We had hurricane Micheal a few weeks ago, but everyone has been accounted for and has been happy/healthy.

She's about 3 years old

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I moved this thread to the emergency section. :)

She may have inhaled some water, a seed or even some chicken feed. How is she now? Usually these things resolve themselves on their own, hopefully she has coughed it out by now. Let us know how she's doing. :)

Thank you! I picked her up and checked her out. She was at the feeders when the noise started, so you may be correct. She seems okay right now. I will check on her again this afternoon. Just want to be sure its not respitory related, but she isn't wheezing at all. Wanna stay ahead of it, if it is an infection developing and I don't know anything about antibiotics for chickens, never had a need.

:welcome
I envy you! We had -9°C (15F) tonight… My duckies are doing better in the cold than i!

Thank you! I picked her up and checked her out. She was at the feeders when the noise started, so you may be correct. She seems okay right now. I will check on her again this afternoon. Just want to be sure its not respitory related, but she isn't wheezing at all. Wanna stay ahead of it, if it is an infection developing and I don't know anything about antibiotics for chickens, never had a need.

Sounds like she probably inhaled some feed. Glad she's ok now! Keep up all the lovin' on her. :)

Welcome To BYC!
I'm glad to hear she is doing o.k. now:)
From your description, I agree, she likely inhaled some feed and/or water down the wrong way. Sometimes a bird can experience Stridor - that would be getting something in the airway whether it's food, water, mucous, etc.

If anything changes, please let us know.

Back
Top Bottom