"Honking" Hen

tiadragon

Hatching
11 Years
May 21, 2008
I'm not sure that this truly qualifies as behavior, but I wasn't sure where else to pose my question.

I've noticed recently that one of our hens (approx 4 months old) has begun making a honking noise in the back of her throat. The first time I heard it, I thought maybe she is having species confusion...but we have no ducks near us. Seriously, though, I'm worried that it may be something dire that I don't know anything about (can you tell this is my first time with chickens?)

She is eating, drinking and pooping normally. Bright eyes, mellow-to-slightly-high-strung personality, and no change in social behavior. The one added strangeness, however, is that she now only has two tail feathers - which I'm not sure if she plucked or if they were plucked for her. Could this be a reordering thing? (We just removed one of our birds a few weeks ago when he found his voice - no roos in the City!)

Thanks for your thoughts!

It's fun to know that all your Sussex honk, fullhouse. I have one Sussex pullet that started making a funny noise right after she stopped making chick sounds. I thought her voice might be changing.
smile.png

I named her Chank because I thought that's what it sounded like she was saying.

I think all my chickens honk, though the buff orpingtons are by far the loudest and most nasal honkers. I'm not sure what it means in "chickenspeak", but I'd sure like to know. Then again...maybe not...
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom