"Honking" Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiadragon, Jul 24, 2008.

1. tiadragon

tiadragon New Egg

May 21, 2008
    I'm not sure that this truly qualifies as behavior, but I wasn't sure where else to pose my question.

I've noticed recently that one of our hens (approx 4 months old) has begun making a honking noise in the back of her throat. The first time I heard it, I thought maybe she is having species confusion...but we have no ducks near us. Seriously, though, I'm worried that it may be something dire that I don't know anything about (can you tell this is my first time with chickens?)

She is eating, drinking and pooping normally. Bright eyes, mellow-to-slightly-high-strung personality, and no change in social behavior. The one added strangeness, however, is that she now only has two tail feathers - which I'm not sure if she plucked or if they were plucked for her. Could this be a reordering thing? (We just removed one of our birds a few weeks ago when he found his voice - no roos in the City!)

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Our sussex all honk.

3. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    My Jersey Giant honks. her brother is the roo though, so I don't know if that places a part in the sound

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It's fun to know that all your Sussex honk, fullhouse. I have one Sussex pullet that started making a funny noise right after she stopped making chick sounds. I thought her voice might be changing.[​IMG]
    I named her Chank because I thought that's what it sounded like she was saying.

5. plucky

plucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Arkansas
    I think all my chickens honk, though the buff orpingtons are by far the loudest and most nasal honkers. I'm not sure what it means in "chickenspeak", but I'd sure like to know. Then again...maybe not...
    [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My red sex-link honks. it's pretty funny.

7. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My PR is much louder than my rooster when she make her usual nosies. [​IMG]

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Yep, all my RIR's, BO's and BSL's honk. The older they get, the louder they get too! My EE's just screech. I'm not sure which is worse [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    One of my BO's HONK when its really hot out!

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My Black Australorp honks and I tell her she's part goose all the time. Love her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by