Honking

Chickn chick 46

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2009
I have 9 ten week old chicks and it seems that a few, I have pin pointed the RSL and the GLW, a making a honking noise, like a goose. I have had chicks before and don't recall hearing this type of noise, but then again its been a few years since I've had chicks. Is this normal and/or OK? Is it just their voices changing as they are maturing?

Thx
smile.png

Thanks for the reply! I thought it was endearing at first then began to wonder more about it. Nice to know its normal part of growing up.
smile.png

I have one that honked but she quit recently. She is a mixed up beautiful hen with a Blue orp father, A mixed buff orp, rir mother. Her name is Velvet and she has just started laying. I sort of miss her honks. LOL Gloria Jeean

My roo honked from about 6 weeks. I couldn't catch him at it at first, but at this point I'm pretty sure it was him all along.

He still does it now and again -- sounds stupid when he does
big_smile.png

My 12 week Black Sex Link is exclusively a honker. She started around 2 weeks ago. I hope she keeps it. I always know her voice... I have 6 the same age or older who went right to clucking.

Oh i love the honking stage!!!
big_smile.png

They sound so funny and cute, although i did start missing the cheeping after a while...enjoy your little honkers!

Back
Top Bottom