Hoop Coop for Our Layer Flock

Hi folks,
I just wanted to share some pictures of our layer flock's hoop coop. It is two years old now and has held up well. I wanted to make an integrated coop/run that would give them ample room to move about, plenty of fresh air and a draft-free environment in the winter. I also wanted to it to be human-friendly and predator-proof.

I bent the hoops myself - they are made from the top rail tubing for chain link fence. The ground "anchors" are EMT driven into the ground. The hoops are bolted into these. This is the same basic setup that I used for my hoop greenhouse.

The entire run is covered by welded wire fence and I've buried it under the ground all around the base. I don't have a "chicken door" - I could add one but we just slide the door open for them during the day and it works pretty well. I use 6 mil greenhouse plastic and shade cloth on the top year-round and can roll up the sides like I do on my greenhouse to increase ventilation 3 seasons of the year. I use wiggle wire to secure the plastic on the ends during the winter.

Make it a great day,
Matt

View attachment 2866177
View attachment 2866180
View attachment 2866184
That's awesome, I really would like to do that but I am chicken to try bending the pipe. I am thinking of using PVC pipe.... Not sure how long that would last here though.

Your setup looks great!

In the south when it is hot the PVC pipe will sag and the roof gets lower and lower. That may not be an issue in Ontario but you guys have the snow load to deal with.
Yes snow huge issue, but didn't think about heat, get very hot and humid in summer here....

Guess I will have to suck it up and learn to make metal hoops 🙂

Snow load on cattle panel hoops....Total listed as 32" of heavy wet spring snow. I did broom it off when it was about 2' deep on top. That broomed snow is on the sides not in front of the door. This is not the only deep snow mine has seen. I did not have a center top (ridge support?) Board and this run was very very sturdy. I have since decommissioned it as I am totally sick of shoveling paths to multiple coops.

IMG_20210315_083954.jpg

Snow load on cattle panel hoops
Is that a single panel or two?
Any framing inside?

Cattle panels are weaker than hog panels, which have more rods and smaller holes.
I've used both.
These are cattle panels, with a foot of snow up top.
You can see there is the beginning of some sag at the center right.
Definitely want a spreader brace, like at top of door frames, in the center.

1636378874612.png

Is that a single panel or two?
Any framing inside?

Cattle panels are weaker than hog panels, which have more rods and smaller holes.
I've used both.
These are cattle panels, with a foot of snow up top.
You can see there is the beginning of some sag at the center right.
Definitely want a spreader brace, like at top of door frames, in the center.

View attachment 2891747

No inside framing at all. It is 2 panels. They are held to the structure with short pieces of plumbers strap....only a few landed where there are wall studs.

I should say WAS as I took it down to ensure I don't restock the structure with birds and end up shoveling again. I put a patio there instead.

IMG_20210805_095125.jpg

The cattle panel hoops are popular because they flex well without need of any special equipment.
Can't get them here. Best we can get is pig panels which are 6'x3' approx. And they don't bend very well.

Not sure what I will definitely next year, but I will need a covered run for them when I am not around, too many hawks here.

Back
Top Bottom