Hoop Coop Sleeping Box Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JenBirdRansom, Jan 20, 2014.

1. JenBirdRansom

JenBirdRansom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    I'm moving my birds from one place to another and I have built two hoop coops. In their old coop they had a nice big coop to go into every night and it had the sleeping roost and the nest boxes inside. In the hoop coop I plan to use milk crates for nest boxes, but I'm kind of drawing a blank as far as a nice cozy place for them to go in to sleep at night. If I put a roost up, and just kind of enclose it on 3 sides with the front open is that enough shelter? It gets to about 25 degrees on a cold night. We have a rare colder night than that here in the foothills of Mt.Rainier but its not like we are in the cold Midwest or anything.

What are your ideas?? Pictures?? I'm using all reclaimed wood because that is what my budget allows. [​IMG]

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    I use pvc pipes in my tractors to keep it lite.
    I did put cup-lings on both ends to keep the air from blowing though and chilling there feet.
    Goo Luck!!!

3. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    Weight wasn't a concern for me. I wanted a sturdier coop. The end is covered on the first one I built but it seemed so dark in there.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd just attach each end of a 2x4 wide side up to the cattle panels a foot higher than the nest boxes.

They should be fine unless there's a wicked wind blowing thru there.....they need ventilation tho too.

5. oldcampcook

oldcampcook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    On my hoop coop, I cut a piece of plywood to attach to the back end for the winter. In your case, two screws at each end of your horizontal brace should be enough and would be easy to remove in the summer. I left the top open for ventilation and cover it with a plastic table cloth if it gets really cold, like it is now here in Oklahoma.

I also have a 6x8 tarp that I drape across the front at night to help retain whatever heat is available.

Bob

6. eatwhatyougrow

eatwhatyougrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    if you want something easy could use straw bales. I am in the midwest a nd have one coop that their enclosed area is just six straw bales. Three sides stacked two high and two roots bars stuck through the bales and they do fine with this. Blocks the wind and gives them a shelter inside the run. After about a year i change them. Use the old ones for compost.

7. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Take a look at the hoop coop link in my signature. Considering you have already built the run, you could just add a small coop to the back of it. I built ours for no cost using all reclaimed wood. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    That looks sweet.

9. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA

Do you happen to have a picture?