hoop house chicken tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MsChickenMomma, Sep 22, 2013.

1. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Songster

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Cool yogifink! All you need is a wheel and handles and you could move it like a wheel barrow.

2. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    Cool is right! You may have mentioned this and I missed it, but what are the finished dimensions of your Bush-induced hoop house? I've been thinking of building one for my girls, and these look far easier for one person (and her small Kubota) to move than the big heavy wood versions.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. yogifink

yogifink Songster

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Off the top of my head, I would say its a square 48". Not to sure though. I don't believe I made any cuts, just went to the garage and found a few piece about 'yay-long' that were the same size.

4. FinnIslander

FinnIslander In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Sitka, Alaska
    I just built this 6'x10' tractor coop today. Total cost was $27 for the chicken wire as I had everything else laying about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    I got 100 feet of 1 1/4 inch poly conduit pipe for 35 dollars or so and am trying to decide between building one giant run and putting up dividers later when we need them or just building three different runs to start with.

6. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Songster

Aug 4, 2013
    I can't tell you exactly because I don't have to deal with some of the things you do. Where I live I would only build one and put up dividers as needed. What you need to look at is the strength of the frame compaired to your weather. Will smaller be stronger for snow loads? Do you have high winds that you have to deal with? I would go larger with high winds for better overall strength. Do you want to be able to move it at some point? If so you may want to go low and small. If not, make sure it is tall enough to walk into (this requires a little bigger for wall support). Also, just because the things you build with are light weight it doesn't mean your pen will be light weight.

7. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    These are going to be just for grazing when they are young and for once they are older and I can't keep an eye on them to protect them from hawks and when I am trying to get certain birds to breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: