Hoover’s Mystic Onyx

Pics
You are correct they do not. Hoovers doesnt even have anything with rambler in the name on there site. I think the manager just wanted to be smarter than me. Im very pleased for the mistake. I just wish I knew the sex. They sure are growing alot faster than my other birds. Im assuming because they were originally breed for meat chickens. They seem a lot healthier to than the chicks I got from Rural King.
I know this is an old thread but I have a mystic onyx now and she is twice to three times the size of my other chicks…almost to the point that she looks like she has a pituitary growth issue! (Not even sure chicks have a pituitary gland!). So glad to know they grew quickly - are they a giant breed or will she slow down soon? She has giant legs and could be a roo but otherwise looks like and acts like a hen so far. Are they good hens? Mellow and good layers? Just never had one before and curious!

I know this is an old thread but I have a mystic onyx now and she is twice to three times the size of my other chicks…almost to the point that she looks like she has a pituitary growth issue! (Not even sure chicks have a pituitary gland!). So glad to know they grew quickly - are they a giant breed or will she slow down soon? She has giant legs and could be a roo but otherwise looks like and acts like a hen so far. Are they good hens? Mellow and good layers? Just never had one before and curious!
Theu)y get a decent size. I have 5 or 6 (one remains an inigma no mater how i look). Two of my pullets thid year had giant legs but are still girls. They dont get too big to be sustainable though, so don't worry.
Mine are flighty, but thats just how all my birds are, so cant say for certain. They also toyed with brooding thwir pullet uear and lay pretty dang regularly

Here is one I got from tractor supply this spring. She has black skin and extra toes like a silkie. But is huge, she is the size of my EE rooster! This picture doesn't do her justice. She is a stunning bird! She was marked as a southern rambler. View attachment 2438574
My Mystic Onyx is huge too ? She's quite friendly too ! I love the darling! She's getting close to egg laying , she's about 18 weeks now!

For everyone saying they grow super quick, did your hens have larger combs/wattles? I’m holding out hope my supposed to be pullet is a pullet!

Yep. I was utterly convinced both times I got chicks I had at least 1 male. No males ended up developing
Thank you!! This is mine at 10-12 weeks and I’m hopeful!!

Attachments

• 780B29F1-8754-4FF9-8EE1-F16AE0C284B9.jpeg
    780B29F1-8754-4FF9-8EE1-F16AE0C284B9.jpeg
    571.5 KB · Views: 7
I've always wondered if my Bertha was a mystic onyx. I got 2 different batches of chicks from hoovers early 2022, brown egg layer & hatchery choice. I have never known exactly what she was. She was always the largest chick growing up. She has a beautiful iridescent blue/green shine. Laying a brown egg. I kind of figured black sex link (or midnight majesty maran, clean legged?), but the blackish comb/wattles throw me off (they were completely black until she was fully matured). 🤷‍♀️

Bertha
20220816_091730.jpg

Young Bertha
20220620_191042.jpg

I know it’s hard to tell with the fence but the feathers don’t look pointy. Thoughts? I know I won’t know for sure, but want to rehome sooner than later if there’s no chance she’s a she. :(

Attachments

• 1C0A94D7-8C0B-4EC8-A155-5E95FC22EC13.jpeg
    1C0A94D7-8C0B-4EC8-A155-5E95FC22EC13.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 4
  • F45C547B-0724-45E1-9610-73ABB73624C8.jpeg
    F45C547B-0724-45E1-9610-73ABB73624C8.jpeg
    754 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom