Hoover's "Easter Eggers"

Chicka1

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
Georgia
Hi,

New here and new to chickens! I have 3-week-old Easter Eggers from Hoover's hatchery. Not one of them has muffs or beards, but most are developing reddish chests and tiny "crests" like a legbar. Hoover's description of their Easter Eggers says they use the traditional Easter egger breeds but also "grunlegers" which includes legbar breed. Has anyone noticed their Hoover's (or TSC) Easter Eggers looking very much like legbars? I was sort of looking forward to the little beards, etc, but crests are cool, too. Just a little surprised that these aren't what I expected. 😁 Can't wait to see how they finally turn out.

Hoover's EE description: Our Easter Eggers are a combination of the traditional American Easter Eggers, which typically has a pea comb, beard and green legs, along with the European version of Easter Eggers, which are called , which typically have yellow legs, a single comb, and commonly a tuft on its head. The is a hybrid cross between a commercial type Legbar, and brown egg-laying hens, therefore unlike the American Easter Egger, they will not breed true, with only a portion of the offspring laying colored eggs. Overall, the Easter Eggers typically lay colored eggs, but up to 15% of the time you will have one that lays brown or cream eggs.

It sounds like they are selling both the Ameraucana and Legbar based EEs in the same package. You just happened to only get "Grünleger".

Myself I wouldn’t want the EEr’s from Hoovers. I bought other breeds from tsc and ended up with EEr’s and a cockeral. I bought EEr’s from private owned feed store and all were all great. They have the lil muffs and all. Tsc is very iffy of what ur gonna get. :idunno

Hoover isn't even sure if they are selling the right breeds anymore. 🤣 Screenshot (22).png Screenshot (23).png Screenshot (24).png

Myself I wouldn’t want the EEr’s from Hoovers. I bought other breeds from tsc and ended up with EEr’s and a cockeral. I bought EEr’s from private owned feed store and all were all great. They have the lil muffs and all. Tsc is very iffy of what ur gonna get. :idunno
That's my other fear.... A cockerel! 😝

I have nothing against Mutts - I LIKE Mutts. But when you are buying a breed from a hatchery for consistent genetic traits, I want some reassurance that the advertised traits are actually present.

Hoover's claim is, in essence, "Hey, we think these will lay green eggs because we mixed two distinct green egg laying hybrids into a single flock, and it mostly works, but probably won't work a second time if you hatch your own from these..."

While I commend their advertising for its truthfullness, that's the only positive I can put on those.

I have nothing against Mutts - I LIKE Mutts. But when you are buying a breed from a hatchery for consistent genetic traits, I want some reassurance that the advertised traits are actually present.

Hoover's claim is, in essence, "Hey, we think these will lay green eggs because we mixed two distinct green egg laying hybrids into a single flock, and it mostly works, but probably won't work a second time if you hatch your own from these..."

While I commend their advertising for its truthfullness, that's the only positive I can put on those.

Back
Top Bottom