Hoovers Hatchery Meat Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mr chicken dude, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Ive been looking for some hatcheries to order meat birds from in the spring and stumbled on hoovers hatchery has anyone had good luck with them?

Were the meat birds good as far as feed conversion and growth?

Collin

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. 4H Amy

4H Amy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    I have never bought from that hatchery before. We normally buy from Welp Hatchery or Meyers Hatchery. Both hatcheries have sent us healthy baby chicks/meat birds. They send one or two extra birds just in case there are losses during shipping.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    They are absolutely horrible. Lost 320/400 in one shipment, I think the quality is bad because of the amount of time it takes to get to the customer. I've had them arrive a day earlier and the birds were fine, only after I complained.

Not the only bad experience, I've had layers from them as well. All chicks are small and not very lively when they arrived. I've ordered from them around 5-6 times this year.

With that said, if you live in Iowa... probably a great hatchery. I've tried other hatcheries in Iowa and have had great success, I've purchased 6400 birds from Schlecht Hatchery this year with great success. When Schlecht stopped hatching, I got hoovers because they had the same strain of broilers. However the quality was a huge difference. I believe a combination of incubators and the shipping time was the difference.

Just my experiences though.

4. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:I was very pleased with my Schlecht meat birds too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by