1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hope all Iowan bycers are ok

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by apbgv, Jun 20, 2008.

1. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    Just posting to see if all of our Iowan members are ok, the flooding has been horrific esp cedar rapids and iowa city. My boss and I may be going to CR and helping at Kirkwood comm college as they are housing over 800 animals that have been displaced. I have been sending positive energy to all those who are affected by the flooding.

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'm ok. Our downtown is not:(

3. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    We just got back home last night after a two-week trip to the midwest to visit family. The conditions in Iowa were just so sad. My sister lives near the Cedar River and we spent Father's Day gutting out her basement after the flood waters went down. My little home town is full of homeless people who had no flood insurance because they lived in areas where flooding was just unimaginable. FEMA is giving people around $24,000 and that's all those people will get. We drove through Parkersburg and New Hartford and saw the tornado damage......I just cried seeing all those poor people cleaning up that mess. The fields are just horrendous. Iowa has lost about 15-20% of its corn crop for the year and the corn that isn't under water looks pretty darn bad thanks to the cool wet conditions. What a disaster.

4. Bren1222

Bren1222 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Iowa
    We are ok in my little town (45 miles west of Des Moines) but when the flooding was going on my daughter and I were out of state. My husband and son were home but we live on a hill so we came out quite well.

They did sandbag our towns new swimming pool and treatment center but the water never went high enough to flood them out.

The flooding is horrible and my heart goes out to anyone that has to deal with the distruction. This is worst then the 1993 floods.

The tornado that hit the boyscout camp in Little Sioux was terrible. I have a friend who's son was in the same building that collapsed that killed the 4 boys. Her son had a collasped lung, 3 broken ribs, a broken disc in his back and neck. He was in intensive care but has since been moved to a regular room and is expected to make a full recovery. I just can't even imagine!

My heart and prayers go out to everyone who is suffering!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by