1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hope someone can answer my question.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hollidayckinn, Sep 10, 2014.

1. hollidayckinn

hollidayckinn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    My hen is two yrs. old. She has not laid an egg in three months or longer. She acts fine, eats well, runs in the yard. Yesterday I let her out, cleaned up the coop and opened the nesting box. I don't know what it was in the box but it looked like a long tube with something that looked like meat on the end. [​IMG] does anyone know what it could be? It almost looked like a finger from a latex glove. She seems fine but I can't find an answer to this anywhere . I sure would appreciate your thoughts on this.
    Thanks to all and God bless you

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That sounds like a broken soft shelled egg, and the membrane was what you were seeing. Hens who have eggs that break inside from too soft a shell may be in danger of developing egg yolk peritonitis or being an internal later. Usually when hens lay rubbery eggs they need mor calcium or they aren't processing the calcium they eat. There can be defects in their shell gland also. She may have been laying these before, and they could have been eaten before you discovered them. I would give her some crushed egg shells to eat for a snack, and make sure that she has crushed oyster shell available as well as being on a layer feed that contains 4% calcium. Here are some links on EYP and internal laying: http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

3. hollidayckinn

Apr 22, 2012
    Thank you for your help. Hopefully when I do these things she'll go back to laying eggs again.
    Thanks so much!

4. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
  5. hollidayckinn

Apr 22, 2012
    Thanks for the info! Have a blessed day[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by