hope you get a laugh out of this too

Carolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
I finally starting getting eggs again a few days ago. In the meantime I have been at the mercy of the grocery store's eggs. Last time I bought Egglands Best. I just broke one to make cookies and IT HAD A LARGE BLOOD SPOT IN IT.
It has been known to freak folks out to find a blood spot in our backyard eggs. Hope next time you loose a customer over one that they find one in their groc store eggs.

PS they aren't best; I was just saving my good eggs to enjoy for breakfast. Welsummers, new hens, beautiful dark brown eggs with speckles!!!! I love it.

it is always nice to explain to people that the blood spot shows freshness and that the grocery store ones don't have it is an example of how old they might be!!! I have a friend who raises chickens too and sells eggs..... he had had people complain when they have gotten double or triple yolks and accuse him of feeding the chickens dye since the yolk is so yellow/orange!!!

OK, newbie question here, sorry if it's stupid.

I got some eggs from the farmers' market a while back, and one of them had what looked like the beginning of a chicken fetus in it. It was hard and round and about 1/4" diameter. The yolk was runny.

Was this safe to eat? I ended up feeding it to the dogs, but I wondered (obviously I would have fished out the fetus-y part, if I'd eaten it).

It was safe to eat, in some Asian countries developing egg fetuses are a delicacy, but it could have started to develop; perhaps someone hadn't yet realized they had a broody. Or it could have been an odd shaped meat spot.

Back
Top Bottom