Hoping for a few pullets

YahKheena

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Hi, I'm new to raising chickens, we picked up what was suppose to be six Black Australorps @ The Tractor Store... straight run... I didn't know what I was doing, we were wanting six females not realizing they were called pullets. I was hoping someone could help us sex them. They are 8 weeks old. Colonel and Sparrow are our sweeties, friendly and love to be held. We are almost sure Coco and Sparrow are roosters... Sparrow is the head chicken and Colonel right behind him... Coco is constantly trying to outdo Sparrow. I hope y'all can help us. Thanks.

We think Alteria and Colonel are pullets... but are hoping there are more. Again thanks

Kind of confusing post- you know none of these are australorps right? All are easter eggers.

Very unfortunately.. all are boys, except for alteria, that's the lone girl. The darker red feathers coming out on those wings are indicators of male coloring starting to come in. I was not toon sure about Sparrow until seeing that one of him sitting with relaxed wings, it looks like pointy saddle feathers coming out on back.

Last edited:
All easter eggers? Wow, the sign said Black Australorps... what are EE? Yeah... we kinda suspected all roo's... I guess we'll have to order some pullets. Any other opinions?
We'll have to get rid of the roosters, and we love, love, love Colonel and Sparrow
hit.gif

aww, can't keep roos? not even keep one to breed with alteria and hatch their eggs? alteria is definitely a pullet.

feed stores are really famous for getting the chicks all mixed up.

Easter eggers basically are bred for mixed egg colors- all shades of green blue some tans. they can be good layers. also mixed for color so the result is very different colors like these chicks.

australorp chicks are all solid black with some white around the face/belly. do internet search for breed chick pictures so you have better chances at the store next time.

Last edited:
EE lay colored eggs, blue, green, even pink. Very sad that you got all the Roos out of the bunch. Next time buy out of the Pullet bin or you could always find someone local that has either coop ready chicks that you can tell the sex on by looking at them due to age or get one that is already at laying age.

Good luck.

We want to keep Sparrow, Colonel and Alteria, but we're not allowed to keep roo's in our city. The Feed store isn't selling chicks anymore. How do I go about getting some pullets? Any suggestions. We have some sad girl here (my dd's who have fallen madly in love with all the chicks!)

find someone close to you willing to go part in filling up a hatchery order of 25 chicks if you can't do 25 chicks.

25 chicks is the minimum so they will keep each other warm enough during shipping. usually hatcheries are very reliable with sexed chicks so if you order pullets only theu should be almost foolproof. I don't have any other ideas besides asking the store to order chicks for you.....

You can look on craig's list or watch the classifieds in your local paper. There is also the option to order. Depending on how many you can have there are a number of hatcheries. Some do small city& town specials for people who can't order a full 15-25 birds. Or you could split an order with someone.

We want to keep Sparrow, Colonel and Alteria, but we're not allowed to keep roo's in our city. The Feed store isn't selling chicks anymore. How do I go about getting some pullets? Any suggestions. We have some sad girl here (my dd's who have fallen madly in love with all the chicks!)
Where are you located? I'm probably not going to keep all of my girls. Think I will be re-homing one of my Barred Rocks, RIR and what every the mystery babies I have.

Back
Top Bottom