1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hoping not a Rhode Island Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newtochooks80, Nov 8, 2010.

1. newtochooks80

newtochooks80 New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    I got this chicken from the local markets so not properly sexed. They said it was a Rhode Island Red hen but as its gotten older I'm starting to think otherwise. Its quite tall compared to my commercial black but I believe RIR's are larger....anyway your opinions are appreciated [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    looks like a rooster, the tail feathers are blacker than a RIR pullet and they look like they are starting to curve

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Roo, sorry [​IMG]. Tail gives it away. [​IMG]

4. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Agreed

5. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    wrong comb for a RIR

6. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Sorry you ended up with a roo. This same thing happened to me. I gave two beautiful roos to a co-worker of mine for breeding, and he gave me what was supposed to be a marans/cross pullet. I kept telling him a couple weeks later that it was a roo----it was sparring with one of my very young roos. He said "Oh, I'm positive it's a hen---is it crowing yet?" Well, it wasn't, but I still wasn't convinced. He offered to go ahead and take it back to exchange it for a hen, but said to just wait awhile and see if it started crowing. (He was acting like I was a silly woman and didn't know what I was talking about.) I kept waiting for it to crow, and had resolved myself to having an extra roo-----I didn't want to waste my time arguing with a co-worker. Last week, my other roos killed him when I was at work. It was definately a roo, and never crowed once! Sad story, but next time I'll trust my own instincts----I should have just taken him back and gotten a different hen when I had the chance to.[​IMG]

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Rhode Island Reds come in bith single & rose combed varieties. BTW: a RI Red female should have black tail feathers. This is a cockerel though.

8. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    might be a mixed breed as well, RIR's have yellow feet, this one looks like it has white feet, and it looks a bit taller than a RIR

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Wrong comb[​IMG]?

Rhode Island Reds come either Rose or Single comb...

Chris

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That is one LEGGY Rhode Island.

But, yes, this is a Rosecomb variety. Just because your average Production Reds are single combed doesn't mean that's what they all look like. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by