Hoping to be a new chicken mum, but facing the city commissioners in Palatka fl

thedollylala

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Hello, this is my first post and was recommended to come here by my mother in law whom post here(I don't know her sn tho). I have been inspired to have adopt a few hens and I contacted the zoning for my area (Palatka fl) I unfortunately live in the city limits and was advised I could not have chickens but there has been a push for laws to change, and was told to contact the person in charge of that. So after a few emails back and forth with him he has asked me to speak at the next city commissioner meeting. It has to be quick and to the point on the benefits of raising your own egg layers, I can not pretend I know what I'm talking about because i am so new to this, ah! So I have 3 minutes to make my point across. I'm attaching the emails back and Forth to hopefully give insight to you all for hopeful advice on what information to touch on... TIA for reading all of this

My first email-
Hello Thad, Mr. Crowe. My name is Laura and I've been a resident of Putnam county for 22 years. I remember as a young child going to my grandmothers smiling and playing with her chickens. Now I'm 29 with a son of my own and I want to give him the same experience of having our own Chickens; we were hoping for a small coop, around 3 chickens. Unfortunately I live in a zone that is in the city. With a large back yard I want to make it happier with hens, and provide fresh eggs for my family that I know that it's free of all harmful additives. My request is to be allowed to give this to my family. To my son. Please consider this request. Feel free to contact me via email,

Thank you for all your time and reading my email, I really hope to push for a more natural way to raise my family and learn the importance of hard work to pass down to my children. Thank you again."

His response -

Laura – thank you for your email. I am sending this from my personal email as our server blocks your email for some reason (maybe it is your unique email address). I have been following “chicken” ordinances in other communities with interest and have had a few other inquiries on this subject. I agree that urban chickens are part of sustainable living and with reasonable restrictions have worked out well in other towns and cities. Give me a little time to address this with the “higher-ups” and I can get back to you. I don’t suppose you would consider speaking to the City Commission on this during their public comment segment? No pressure, but it would be helpful. Either way I think we might be able to do something.

Thad

Thad Crowe, AICP
Planning Director
City of Palatka
205 N. 2nd St.
Palatka, FL 32177
386-329-0103
http://palatka-fl.gov/ "

My response
Thad, thank you for replying so quickly! It gives me great faith and hope that you seem very enthused about
the possibilities of bringing this wonderful animal to the city limits of our town. I do not have an issue talking
about the benefits of raising chickens, also how it's possible to manage cleanliness with no waste, also called DLM,
deep liter method which the chickens. Here's a reference for better education. http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...litter-method-zb0z1208zmat.aspx#axzz2XNLp9f5I
I believe it's possible to do this method with urban chickens. I am by no means an expert on the subject of chickens but
I have tried to educate myself to the fullest possible extent to be a proper future chicken owner. I of course feel that limitations
would be important, giving a number for people would help control the population, with that said chickens are social
creatures and do require other chickens to produce more eggs. It seems like there is definitely a backing for our city
to move forward in being green. I'm excited I get to become a part of it. would be fine with talking to the city commission. When would that take place? I do have a job as a hair stylist and I do work evenings sometimes, so I would have to sync it up with my schedule, and of course get my chickens in a row for a presentation :). "

And his final response-
The next Commission meeting is July 11, at 6 PM. There is a public comment period at the beginning of the meeting with a time limit of 3 minutes. I think that would be a great way to kick this off. Chickens in a row - LOL."

Okay what do all you experts think? What are the points I should cover in just 3 minutes?? Thanks again for reading this incredibly long first post. On and I decided to start with 6 instead of 3 >.> hehe

I'm not an expert but I would think that noise would be an issue that could be brought up and may need to be tackled head on, no roosters etc.

Also
welcome-byc.gif

From experience, I have found that they rarely care about the upsides. I would give 1-2 minutes to defending the downsides, because that is what they are gonna want to hear.

- It will lower pricing value : The cities in America with the highest property values (San Diego, Denver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, etc..) allow chickens. Many people would prefer to live somewhere that allows chickens, and very very few would see chickens as a downside.
- They are noisy : Only roosters are noisy. Hens are quieter than almost every other pet.
- They are smelly : If the owner keeps their coop well managed, they smell like nothing.
- They attract predators : No more than the other animals allowed widely.

Then point out the benefits... I would suggest appealing to two sides of them : The health side, where they care about what goes into their body, so point out how much better those eggs are for you, and the drastically lower chance of salmonella. A google search will provide that info. Then the emotional side! Factory farming is a great way to lead into the emotional side, and then finish strong with stories of pet chickens.

I hope this helped! If you need any more about this topic (I'm pretty experienced in this) feel free to message me :) - mac

I know this post is a little old, but i was wondering what the results were on this issue? I also live in Palatka and would LOVE to have a few chickens to be able to get eggs and teach my son, but i am within city limits and cant find any information on the laws.
thanks,
stephanie

Hi--I know this string is old, but we are looking at a house in Palatka on a double corner lot. We have eight hens and purchase of our new home depends on having our girls with us. Can someone update us on the outcome of the zoning discussion. Thanks!

In a residential zoning district (i.e. Residential-1, Residential-2, or Residential Estate), in which a single family residence is on-site, flocks are limited to no less than two (2) and no greater than six (6) chickens per acre. Roosters and any other species of fowl are prohibited. These flocks may only be used for personal use, any commercial raising of chickens or eggs is prohibited. Flocks are prohibited on any parcel that is occupied by any multifamily use or has more than one single family residence, unless otherwise allowed by the Code.

The flocks must be contained to the parcel at all times, and at night, in a coop that does not exceed 150 square feet and is placed in accordance with the applicable building setbacks. The flight feathers on at least one wing must be clipped regularly to prevent flight. Feed for the animals must be secured to prevent access by vermin. For the full text of the Putnam County Land Development section 3.02.25: Livestock, Residential

Hello, this is my first post and was recommended to come here by my mother in law whom post here(I don't know her sn tho). I have been inspired to have adopt a few hens and I contacted the zoning for my area (Palatka fl) I unfortunately live in the city limits and was advised I could not have chickens but there has been a push for laws to change, and was told to contact the person in charge of that. So after a few emails back and forth with him he has asked me to speak at the next city commissioner meeting. It has to be quick and to the point on the benefits of raising your own egg layers, I can not pretend I know what I'm talking about because i am so new to this, ah! So I have 3 minutes to make my point across. I'm attaching the emails back and Forth to hopefully give insight to you all for hopeful advice on what information to touch on... TIA for reading all of this

My first email-
Hello Thad, Mr. Crowe. My name is Laura and I've been a resident of Putnam county for 22 years. I remember as a young child going to my grandmothers smiling and playing with her chickens. Now I'm 29 with a son of my own and I want to give him the same experience of having our own Chickens; we were hoping for a small coop, around 3 chickens. Unfortunately I live in a zone that is in the city. With a large back yard I want to make it happier with hens, and provide fresh eggs for my family that I know that it's free of all harmful additives. My request is to be allowed to give this to my family. To my son. Please consider this request. Feel free to contact me via email,

Thank you for all your time and reading my email, I really hope to push for a more natural way to raise my family and learn the importance of hard work to pass down to my children. Thank you again."

His response -

Laura – thank you for your email. I am sending this from my personal email as our server blocks your email for some reason (maybe it is your unique email address). I have been following “chicken” ordinances in other communities with interest and have had a few other inquiries on this subject. I agree that urban chickens are part of sustainable living and with reasonable restrictions have worked out well in other towns and cities. Give me a little time to address this with the “higher-ups” and I can get back to you. I don’t suppose you would consider speaking to the City Commission on this during their public comment segment? No pressure, but it would be helpful. Either way I think we might be able to do something.

Thad

Thad Crowe, AICP
Planning Director
City of Palatka
205 N. 2nd St.
Palatka, FL 32177
386-329-0103
http://palatka-fl.gov/ "

My response
Thad, thank you for replying so quickly! It gives me great faith and hope that you seem very enthused about
the possibilities of bringing this wonderful animal to the city limits of our town. I do not have an issue talking
about the benefits of raising chickens, also how it's possible to manage cleanliness with no waste, also called DLM,
deep liter method which the chickens. Here's a reference for better education. http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...litter-method-zb0z1208zmat.aspx#axzz2XNLp9f5I
I believe it's possible to do this method with urban chickens. I am by no means an expert on the subject of chickens but
I have tried to educate myself to the fullest possible extent to be a proper future chicken owner. I of course feel that limitations
would be important, giving a number for people would help control the population, with that said chickens are social
creatures and do require other chickens to produce more eggs. It seems like there is definitely a backing for our city
to move forward in being green. I'm excited I get to become a part of it. would be fine with talking to the city commission. When would that take place? I do have a job as a hair stylist and I do work evenings sometimes, so I would have to sync it up with my schedule, and of course get my chickens in a row for a presentation :). "

And his final response-
The next Commission meeting is July 11, at 6 PM. There is a public comment period at the beginning of the meeting with a time limit of 3 minutes. I think that would be a great way to kick this off. Chickens in a row - LOL."

Okay what do all you experts think? What are the points I should cover in just 3 minutes?? Thanks again for reading this incredibly long first post. On and I decided to start with 6 instead of 3 >.> hehe
I know you will not see this, but I am shocked that Palatka takes/took issue with chickens.
In a residential zoning district (i.e. Residential-1, Residential-2, or Residential Estate), in which a single family residence is on-site, flocks are limited to no less than two (2) and no greater than six (6) chickens per acre. Roosters and any other species of fowl are prohibited. These flocks may only be used for personal use, any commercial raising of chickens or eggs is prohibited. Flocks are prohibited on any parcel that is occupied by any multifamily use or has more than one single family residence, unless otherwise allowed by the Code.

The flocks must be contained to the parcel at all times, and at night, in a coop that does not exceed 150 square feet and is placed in accordance with the applicable building setbacks. The flight feathers on at least one wing must be clipped regularly to prevent flight. Feed for the animals must be secured to prevent access by vermin. For the full text of the Putnam County Land Development section 3.02.25: Livestock, Residential
County code does not apply to city.

Back
Top Bottom