Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
Pics
I have them but my chickens don't use them. I showed them how, they learned but forgot. Maybe because I didn’t take away the other waterers. Perhaps I'll try again.
BINGO, chickens are lazy (like me) they have an "easier" waterer they will use it before nipples. You have to remove anything "easier" to make them use nipples. Even once you have them nipple trained they will drink out of a muddy puddle, then again they will do that before they walk one foot to get to a nice a clean normal open waterer.......chickens

BINGO, chickens are lazy (like me) they have an "easier" waterer they will use it before nipples. You have to remove anything "easier" to make them use nipples. Even once you have them nipple trained they will drink out of a muddy puddle, then again they will do that before they walk one foot to get to a nice a clean normal open waterer.......chickens
😂 true!

I would not recommend putting multiple open water dishes around your property, the water can create a horrible mosquito problem if you live in an area with a higher humidity. Just want to warn you if you start to see an increase in those pestering mosquitoes.
Thanks! I dump and refill throughout the day and dump them and flip them over when I lock up the girls each night (I work from home-I have plenty of time on my hands🤣)

I use 2 waterers at all times in case one fails.

In the winter I have 2 heated HN waterers. In the summer I have 1 HN & 1 vertical nipple waterer - the birds LOVE the vertical one, they stand under it & play with the water. I would never use it inside, they make such a mess that the ground is always wet. But they use that one almost exclusively & barely touch the HN one. I also put out an open tray of water if it's super hot, maybe even add ice.

Now get the 11/32 drill bit, it's not in a standard drill bit set.

Yes, I keep forgetting to have DH buy one so I carefully shave the hole a little bigger with a utility knife (not to be done unless you have good hand coordination and are accustomed to doing fine detail work).

I have them but my chickens don't use them. I showed them how, they learned but forgot. Maybe because I didn’t take away the other waterers. Perhaps I'll try again.

Yes, you have to take away the other waterers.

Getting rid of the filthy open waterers was my reason for switching to the nipples.

Now get the 11/32 drill bit, it's not in a standard drill bit set.

Yes, I keep forgetting to have DH buy one so I carefully shave the hole a little bigger with a utility knife (not to be done unless you have good hand coordination and are accustomed to doing fine detail work).
Luckily I already have an 11/32!

They came! :celebrate

I probably won't start the chickens on them until after the big heatwave (Going to be REALLY warm, like the 100s) over the next few days, (very unusual for my area,) so I'll start them after that (per @aarts directions)
-Do not train to nipples during extreme temps when dehydration is more of a risk.
But after the heatwave... I'm excited! Now to find some big buckets.

Back
Top Bottom