Horizontal nipple waters and quail..,

Trapper Luke

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
After reading so many good reviews about this style of waters and chickens I decided I'd try it for quail too. I got a gallon sunny delight container and drilled two holes for the horizontal waters. I got it in with my 9 coturnix quail that are bout 4 weeks old I took the other quart chick waterer out of the pen. After about an hour I went and checked on them and watched for awhile. To my dismay they were struggling more than I thought they would. I checked both waters and both were working fine very little pressure to make water come out I pushed on both nipples to show them there was water. While watching they could get very little out at a time but they was getting some out. After a few hours I had to leave for work that I'm gone 12 hours for. I decided to put the chick waterer back in there so I wasn't worried about them getting dehydrated while I was gone. I did leave the gallon jug in there as well so they could get the hang of it a little better. They all crowded the chick waterer soon as I put it down, which made me believe they struggled even more so. You think these quail are still to young and not quite strong enough yet? Or do quail just have a harder/longer time grasping the concept of these waters compared to chickens? Anybody have good look with horizontal nipple waters and their quail?

Thanks,
Luke

After reading so many good reviews about this style of waters and chickens I decided I'd try it for quail too. I got a gallon sunny delight container and drilled two holes for the horizontal waters. I got it in with my 9 coturnix quail that are bout 4 weeks old I took the other quart chick waterer out of the pen. After about an hour I went and checked on them and watched for awhile. To my dismay they were struggling more than I thought they would. I checked both waters and both were working fine very little pressure to make water come out I pushed on both nipples to show them there was water. While watching they could get very little out at a time but they was getting some out. After a few hours I had to leave for work that I'm gone 12 hours for. I decided to put the chick waterer back in there so I wasn't worried about them getting dehydrated while I was gone. I did leave the gallon jug in there as well so they could get the hang of it a little better. They all crowded the chick waterer soon as I put it down, which made me believe they struggled even more so. You think these quail are still to young and not quite strong enough yet? Or do quail just have a harder/longer time grasping the concept of these waters compared to chickens? Anybody have good look with horizontal nipple waters and their quail?

Thanks,
Luke

I've tried them all. I like these the best mounted on the outside of the cage.

Where would I find some of them at? Or a name to look up online to see if I can find some?

Alright cool thank you! You ever had problems with predators waiting for quail to stick their head out and grab them? All my pens are raised and are 1" x 1/2" wire mesh on front. I'd have to cut a hole but was just curious.

Alright cool thank you! You ever had problems with predators waiting for quail to stick their head out and grab them? All my pens are raised and are 1" x 1/2" wire mesh on front. I'd have to cut a hole but was just curious.

I've never had any problems with predators but my cages are raised and also inside a fenced area with chicken wire on top. You could mount them on the inside if you don't want to cut a hole in your cages.

Yeah decided going on the inside would be a better idea in my case. Last question is have you ever had them fail at filling with water? (Besides of course running out of water
1f601.png
) Bought some off eBay, now just debating if one per pen is enough or I should do two just in case one fails.

I use a similar cup from GQF and I have them inside the cages. Mine don't fill with water, they just dribble out when the quail pecks at the lever. I've got 1 cup in each cage and most cages have 7-8 birds. Some have more and some have fewer. Doesn't seem to be a problem with them getting enough water. When I feed and collect eggs, I'll finger the lever and fill up the cups so the birds can get a big gulp.
Never had one fail, but recently one got some trash or something up in the spring and it just kept running water. Took it apart and cleaned it out and it works fine now.

I even use them in the brooder boxes once the quail are a couple of weeks old.

Yeah decided going on the inside would be a better idea in my case. Last question is have you ever had them fail at filling with water? (Besides of course running out of water
1f601.png
) Bought some off eBay, now just debating if one per pen is enough or I should do two just in case one fails.

I've never had one fail yet, mine are hooked up to a low pressure system so I don't have to refill a bucket. I only have one per cage and I have 6 or 7 birds in each cage.

I use the horizontal nipples starting at 6 weeks. They have no problem figuring it out as long as they have no other option. You did right by giving them back their waterers but keep trying and they'll get the hang of it

Back
Top Bottom