Horizontal Water Nipple System

squickfall

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Northern BC, Canada
Hello,
I have 10 day old chicks and would like to know if it is to young to get them started on the horizontal water nipple system i have made.
Are they going to figure it out themselves or do we need to show them how? By how, as in forcing their beaks to move the nipple?
The only nipples i could buy were blue, is that going to make a difference?

Thank you for your help

I started mine at about 2 weeks. 3 of the 7 caught on quickly (I flicked the nipple while they were watching and they saw the water.), but 4 didn't seem to get it.

I decided to wait overnight to see if things would change.

The next morning the 4 weren't drinking still, so I took each one in my hand. Touched their beaks to the nipple and then dipped their beaks in the water.

Light bulb went on and they went crazy pecking and drinking for like 20 minutes.

Smooth sailing since then.

As for color, I'm not sure. My daughter and I are currently working on her science fair project which is "do chickens prefer food out of certain color feeders." Red, Green, Blue, White, Black.

So far our only conclusion is: "They like the one that is closest to them." ;)

Hello,
I have 10 day old chicks and would like to know if it is to young to get them started on the horizontal water nipple system i have made.
Are they going to figure it out themselves or do we need to show them how? By how, as in forcing their beaks to move the nipple?
The only nipples i could buy were blue, is that going to make a difference?

Thank you for your help
Where di you get blue horizontal nipples...got a link?

I bought 5 for $6 free shipping off allboutchickens.com (yes its all bout)
Were they on sale? Cause right now it says 5 are 12.99....but yes free shipping.

You only get 2 for 5.99...and free shipping.

Darn.....you had me all excited!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom