Hormonal feminization of a cockerel

He's very handsome. Hopefully he gets to live. To answer your question, I've never heard of anything like this, but thanks for sharing this very interesting process with us.

He's good looking; what breed is he supposed to be or is he a mix/EE?

So far, he seems to be following the physical development of a capon; hackle/saddle/tail feathers of a roo and redness of a roo, but little in the way of comb growth (though if that's a pea comb, which I can't quite tell from your photos, then that doesn't mean much). Still interesting....at five months, though, our roo was crowing his brains out and mounting everything in sight.
lol.png

Interesting read.

My objective is to tone down an overly frisky bantam roo. I don't want him to turn transgender, just to take the edge off. This boy is about 6 months old and he is so frisky that all the girls hate him and he attacks people, which isn't cool. Is there any chance of something I could put in his feed that doesn't require needles? It doesn't need to be strong.

Interesting read.

My objective is to tone down an overly frisky bantam roo. I don't want him to turn transgender, just to take the edge off. This boy is about 6 months old and he is so frisky that all the girls hate him and he attacks people, which isn't cool. Is there any chance of something I could put in his feed that doesn't require needles? It doesn't need to be strong.
Just remove him, and allow him to mature more. He's extremely hormonal with his age and time of year. By fall he should be better behaved.

Hello! This is such an interesting thread. I know it’s old but would love to learn what happened after the 5 month mark! Also what dosage were you using 🧐

I came on here to see if anyone had tried this. I have essentially "pet" chickens, who are fairly young. One is a salmon favorelle who started getting black wings, so I think not a hen. We are in town and I warned the kids that if one is a rooster we will have to rehome him. Then I remembered an old professor who had a pet chicken who got weekly estrogen injections to block crowing and it evidently worked - they were good buddies for that bird's life, and I got the impression he was an inside bird, paper trained and all.

Any updates or more info on this?

Back
Top Bottom