Hormonal five month rooster

nwchickengrl

Chirping
Apr 28, 2021
So, I have a five month rooster and three of my girls have started laying eggs, he is very attached to these three and hasn’t seemed to pick just one girlfriend. The girls are always happy and love to get chin rubs when given the chance and then will be on their way, but for the past two or three days I have realized that he has been following me around a little more than normal. Tonight though he became very angry when I got next to the coop and tried to attack, I about had a heart attack and drop kicked the poor guy into a fence. My husband came out and the rooster realized it was two too one. He didn’t approach again and at this point I locked just the girls up afraid he was going to go after them! He is such a great roo! I need advice on how to handle or go about him. I don’t want to see him go, but can’t take the behavior change all of a sudden.

It's not about you, it's about him! He's a very hormonal adolescent, and being fine with the pullets is nice. BUT, he is deciding to be human aggressive, which is a genetic tendency that won't be a good thing. You are the giant who brings food, and shouldn't be considered a flock member, or a threat.
@Beekissed , @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach all have good articles here about roosters, worth reading. Kicking at him won't help, although I'm sure it was satisfying at the time!
If you have children or visitors out there, he's just lost his happy home. If you want to try to reform him, realize that nothing works for most human aggressive roosters.
Mary

They
It's not about you, it's about him! He's a very hormonal adolescent, and being fine with the pullets is nice. BUT, he is deciding to be human aggressive, which is a genetic tendency that won't be a good thing. You are the giant who brings food, and shouldn't be considered a flock member, or a threat.
@Beekissed , @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach all have good articles here about roosters, worth reading. Kicking at him won't help, although I'm sure it was satisfying at the time!
If you have children or visitors out there, he's just lost his happy home. If you want to try to reform him, realize that nothing works for most human aggressive roosters.
Mary
All had some great advice! Kicking him was definitely not the plan it felt good, but instantly I felt bad. I guess I understand the him seeing me as a threat a little more and will definitely try a few things before he becomes chicken nuggets.

So, I have a five month rooster and three of my girls have started laying eggs, he is very attached to these three and hasn’t seemed to pick just one girlfriend. The girls are always happy and love to get chin rubs when given the chance and then will be on their way, but for the past two or three days I have realized that he has been following me around a little more than normal. Tonight though he became very angry when I got next to the coop and tried to attack, I about had a heart attack and drop kicked the poor guy into a fence. My husband came out and the rooster realized it was two too one. He didn’t approach again and at this point I locked just the girls up afraid he was going to go after them! He is such a great roo! I need advice on how to handle or go about him. I don’t want to see him go, but can’t take the behavior change all of a sudden.
If you want to keep him then you may have to adjust how you behave towards him and his hens.
This article may help. It's rather a long read and much of it may not apply to your keeping arrangements. However, it may give you some insight into why his behaviour has changed and what you might consider trying to come to a working arrangement with him.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Back
Top Bottom