Horomones related to temperature

Good reading and thought Im introducing 6 new Dewlap Africans into the flock this year there coming in April (they'll be in the house till May) and the new barn wouldn't be up yet Im going to put more though into alternative housing. I though my lack of fertility had to do more with my Guarders 2 preference geese. I re homed the 2 girls to a great family and everyone started getting along again. But I may be just creating the next drama

It has been warmer the last couple of days, and our naughtiest gander has been very relaxed around me. A few days ago he came at me through our fence.
Temps are going to drop again soon. I think he'll start becoming aggressive again.

I wonder if the "trigger" is returning daylight after winter solstice. My first issue was 3 weeks into December. It's been cold near me since beginning of December. I just had to get rid of my favorite gander/bird because I had 3 and he was the outcast(getting injured severely in fights), the other 2 being a "bonded" pair. He has been gone since yesterday. The bonded pair I kept have already started mating, and the gander is about as "gentle as can be"(they're geese🤣) during the process and the hen is very willing and not upset at all. I rehomed my buddy at a hobbyist farmer's property who has 8 guinea hens, 5 ducks, exotic chickens, 3 goats and 2 FEMALE GEESE. Sprawling grass pastures with a large pond 200ft from the nighttime enclosure. I hope no one else has to rehome their birds, but I hope you all find this as a bittersweet story of hope... and I think daylight could be the trigger. More homework required... plus needing to build a nesting box.

Good reading and thought Im introducing 6 new Dewlap Africans into the flock this year there coming in April (they'll be in the house till May) and the new barn wouldn't be up yet Im going to put more though into alternative housing. I though my lack of fertility had to do more with my Guarders 2 preference geese. I re homed the 2 girls to a great family and everyone started getting along again. But I may be just creating the next drama
I had two brothers (Parsnip & Thor) who never fought the 7 years they were with each other, they were parted when Thor passed away. Neither of them was more dominant or submissive than the other, their personalities just clicked and balanced each other so well that they got along perfectly.

I have two of their other brothers who are bonded with each other (Darby & Strawberry) they do squabble now and then but overall get along fine. They used to live with their dad Leo fine until they turned 4 years old and they started trying to kill him so they had to be separated from him. The issue with Darby & Strawberry is that they feed off of each other’s energy and they just don’t know when to stop, so they’re best with just each other and no one else to magnify their emotions onto.

Parsnip and Leo are now bonded now, they sometimes squabble but are generally nice to each other, there are 7 other geese in their group now but they share dominant gander status in the flock and work as a team to keep everyone safe and well behaved.

With geese it can be hard to say what dynamic you’ll get, I can’t say if you’ll get drama or not, sometimes if it does it won’t manifest for a few years, hormonal squabbles that settle down after winter are normal, or you might get lucky and get a pair that are perfectly well behaved. I hope my examples are helpful.

After waiting a few weeks so I could record. As it has gotten colder my geese have gotten meaner. Plus Marcus has been trying to mate with me more. His flip flop does not help him calm down like it normally would. Tyrion my sweet one has even tryed to bite me! An he has never bitten me before. The weather is supposed to be geting warmer. I will see if there is any change to mood. If you dont hear back from me know that the my geese have desided to "take me out". My body will most likely be stuffed in their coop! Lol

It would appear that geese can sense human gender. My gander wants me dead and still LOVES my wife. My goose(exhibiting nest building behavior) lets me do almost anything around her and pet her...she HATES my wife. Can't wait until this is over in early summer.

It would appear that geese can sense human gender. My gander wants me dead and still LOVES my wife. My goose(exhibiting nest building behavior) lets me do almost anything around her and pet her...she HATES my wife. Can't wait until this is over in early summer.
Dunno, one of my ganders has started doing the courtship curtsey to me - bowing his head and rising - I did it back to him because @Goosebaby said that's what it was and he did it back! Then he tried to mount my arm and pecked me real hard to hold on.

Dunno, one of my ganders has started doing the courtship curtsey to me - bowing his head and rising - I did it back to him because @Goosebaby said that's what it was and he did it back! Then he tried to mount my arm and pecked me real hard to hold on.
I would love to see this. I might be missing this bow or my boys just behave no class! Lol

Back
Top Bottom