Horribly injured peachick incubator *warning very graphic*

AngryRWH

In the Brooder
May 5, 2016
Phoenix Arizona
Just trying my best with a bad situation never imagined, I put pea eggs into a huvabator styro incubator after i thought my two hens stopped laying after tragically a pea fight destroyed the first clutch. Two weeks later more eggs at 118 degrees so I must take the eggs as no way for the next ten days the eggs would survive the heat wave. Long story short i incubate. Fast forward to hatch the eggs all two days apart. Egg 3 hatches with baby 2 still on bator , blood on face , baby 2 outa there to brooder. Baby 3 looks like eye poked out.

Last edited:
I sent my husband to get eye ointment, at least it has still one eye. There is hope yet for a chick six hours old. It is Sunday so not much options. Applied the ointment , i believe all is good , nope....i see inside the incubator more blood more injury baby jumps up ...thump more blood . I grab baby out and learn it was the fan overhead , darn it. Why are incubators sold with such unprotected danger? Hope baby lives , big swolen head ,poor baby, breaks my heart. Here is the second injury

Last edited:
So sorry for your baby. Hovabator fixed this on the Genesis they enclosed the fan to keep babies from getting hurt. I use mine as a hatcher now. Set up your brooder box at 95 degrees and move the babies right after hatching.

So sorry for your baby. Hovabator fixed this on the Genesis they enclosed the fan to keep babies from getting hurt. I use mine as a hatcher now. Set up your brooder box at 95 degrees and move the babies right after hatching.
glad they fixed this , had no idea about the problem till my pea baby got hurt . I will be up all night for sure looking at it all night sleeping on my living room floor .next to the brooder bin it is in.

The fan was not screened,

I fixed this real fast with 1/8 hardware cloth.

I had to do this fast i had an external pip egg and a day 26 egg in the hovabator. I put a damp sponge by eggs and covered with a small plastic trash bag to keep up the humidity during the fix.

Six hours later pip egg hatched fine. Healthy and perfect.

I am sharing this because only recently has hovabator fixed the fan danger, please check your fans and fix before using. This could have ended in chick death!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom