horse hoof ??????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by piecemaker, Sep 14, 2011.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Our Morgan has been limping on his front left foot. Talk to the vet gave him Brute to take. He was still about them same. Had farrier out said she didn't think he had foundered. She did a trim and said watch him. Handsome is still about the same. Thinking stone bruise due to the ground being so hard and dry. So earlier this evening DS was here with new DGF and was looking at Handsome's front foot. Ask him to check back foot I noticed he was keeping weight off it. Well as soon as he lifted that foot I know something was wrong. It looks like the soul of his foot is coming off in chunks, both back feet are like that. I have called vet and farrier waiting for them to call back. Hoping Kye,farrier, will call when church is over. Have any of yall seen this before.

2. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Have seen this when horses live in lots of mud.

3. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    You mean thrush? But Peice you said the ground has been dry.

Water damage can do that. The vet or farrier will be better able to tell. If you have to wait you may try taking some pics to get some better guesses.

In any case probably keeping movement on those feet to a minimum would be a safe bet...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe thrush if there is a very strong odor as well. But like Squishy said, the vet will know better than us. [​IMG] Good luck!

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Horses do 'shed' old material from the soles of their feet, and it is chunky when the weather is dry.

It might not have anything to do with his lameness. Or it might. I can't tell from the description, but no one could tell what it is for sure, unless they are a vet and can examine and diagnose.

My thought would be that if the farrier examined the foot very carefully and didn't find anything obvious, like a visible nail, puncture wound, bruise or injury to account for the lameness, then the horse needs to be seen by a lameness vet who can diagnose what's wrong and tell you how to treat it.

It is possible that since it's dry where you are, that the horse has bruised his feet, and bruised feet can often require a lot of time to heal, and then after treatment and healing, a different shoeing schedule, and other changes.

But it also could be something else.

When horses get bruised feet, they often also get an infection around the bruise, but inside the foot where you can't see it.

When a horse goes very suddenly, very severely lame, most old timers will tell you they think it is an abcess inside the foot, perhaps from a puncture wound, but sudden lameness can have many causes.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by