Horse Ivermectin paste for pig??

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
Hello chicken friends

I'm looking for help and discussion about dosing a mini pig using the paste (Links follow).. the difference in digestion process and how it might effect dosage. as opposed to pour on or injectable.

Please note I am treating for what appears to be a chronic skin condition effecting mostly one out my two piggies. They sleep on the patio in a little wooden "hut" with the bedding being various blankets laundered more (every day or two) or less (every week or two) according to weather condition/need. They have pasture access free choice... It did take almost 2 years to get nutrition spot on and adjusted, but hooves and body conditions are currently good.

Currently using the following treatment routine.. link and quote..

https://www.minipiginfo.com/mini-pig-parasite-control.html

"Dosing instructions by Cathy Zolicani, DVM

Ivermectin - for treatment of mites, lice and a variety of internal parasites, but DOES NOT treat tapeworms.
Use 1% injectable form for horses, cows, or swine (brand name Ivomec or Noromectin) –Treats, mites, lice, and a variety of internal parasites. (but not tapeworms) Also good for mites and lice that your pig may get while grazing or contact with other pigs. Do NOT use paste wormers, they are too difficult to accurately dose. This medication should be used in combination with fenbendazole to ensure ALL parasites are eliminated.

With a small syringe, dose 0.2 cc or ml per 10 pounds (or 1cc for every 50lbs) of body weight to mix with pig's food. Your pig will need 2 doses, 14 days apart. Repeat these 2 doses every 4-6 months if your pig grazes, lives outdoors or is exposed to other pigs. This bottle will cost between $40-50 dollars, but will last years in a normal pet pig household. Make sure you check the expiration date on purchase and make a note of when it expires. Typically this is 2 years after purchase.

The injectible formula tastes bitter given orally so mix with food to cover the taste. This will ensure a stress free deworming, the pigs think they're getting a special treat. Mix with yogurt, canned pumpkin, apple sauce or squirt into a piece of bread, Oreo cookie, into a strawberry, grape or spongy type food that can absorb the liquid. " (end quote)

What I'm looking or hoping to use.. IF it can be effectively and safely is...

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-ivermectin-paste-187-608-g

My current calculations are already done in 50# increments since I'm estimating the pigs weight.

I do have the pour on Ivermectin on hand.. (for cattle and swine).. but weather is quite rainy this time of year and also it feels less appropriate to use on PETS.. that I actively pet every day.

I have read about using orally possibly being less effective for pigs.. but I have seen results in the past short term.. Petunia grew hair on the back of her ears and scabs were gone off of belly, fuller hair over all, etc. I have done follow up and even third consecutive follow up treatments.. but the condition continues to return.. more frequently than every 6 months.. I'm NOT sure and can't remember if the pigs hair will recover when their not actively blowing/regrowing their coat.

This quote taken from the same link above (but under the fenbendazol heading) describes what I'm seeing..

""Your vet can take a skin scraping and test for the prescense of these parasites, or you can treat proactively. Mites are not insects, instead, they're more closely related to spiders and are microscopic, so you can't see them with the naked eye. The female burrows in the skin leaving a trail of eggs behind her. these eggs hatch in 3-10 days and the cycle repeats itself over and over again. Mites prefer hairless skin and thus the ear flaps, elbows and abdomen are at highest risk for the red, scaly itchy skin that characterizes sarcoptic mange. It also be misdiagnosed and lead you down the wrong path assuming there is an allergy due to the body's natural response to an allergen.""

Does that mean that treating every 14 days (plus laundry) is not enough to break the cycle??

On rare occasion I can feel, pluck off, and crush eggs of some sort between my fingernails.. may be related or another (possibly seasonal) parasite altogether.. My vet quit seeing them and the other vet we saw recommended treating twice per year.. just per location specifically for lice.. which I have NOT seen and should be hard to miss from what I've read. I do NOT believe the condition to be detergent related due to the pattern in which the balding/scabs exist being wrong location and not what's in full contact with the blankets.

I am thinking about treating (petunia) at least every 30 days.. similar to what the vets are doing to pets (dogs/cats) in my area to prevent fleas/heartworm, etc.. because of her obvious sensitivity.. I don't (really) believe in treating what I don't have.. and this does bother my vet. To that point.. should I be treating Waldo with the same interval or keep him more bi annual or as needed.

I might try to switch out using permethrin topically during the dry season (to maintain efficacy).. but will that help if it's mange mites and their burrowed in as described in the paragraph above? Should I be considering elector psp or something else I haven't thought of yet?

If you've read this far, chances are you're a trooper! Thanks for consideration and feed back. Hope the pic makes it worth it! 🥰
PetuniaPumpkin.jpg

@casportpony

After more than a week (or two) of anxiety, avoidance, not sleeping etc.. noting childhood trauma and neglect make it EXTREMELY hard to ask for help because I know it ain't coming and also I'm not worthy or acceptable. The pattern repeated for much of my adult life. :oops:

I KNOW that's NOT true anymore!! :tongue It still takes practice to lose the stinkin' thinkin' of something so deeply ingrained/programmed.

I tried giving the community a chance to respond and interact before coming directly to you. I also posted as a thread instead of sending a private message in case it would be valid or helpful information for other community members.

Alas, even if you don't have the answer I seek.. thank you for caring and sharing, and for being approachable and reflecting my infinite truth back at me! :hugs

My first guess for bad skin would be allergies - possibly the laundry detergent you are using for her blankets. My local laundromat attendant said detergent allergies (especially Tide) are a big thing with her and her customers. I don't think the blankets need to be washed every day or two. Once a week sounds OK to me. I would try a hypoallergenic, fragrance-free detergent, even organic, limited ingredient detergent if there is such a thing.
Personally I would just provide her with fresh hay or straw every couple of days, and remove it and use the used material for mulch in the garden, instead of blankets. (Your friends might even want it for their gardens.) Hay and straw are very absorbent and warm and they like the feel of it.

I think you should consult with a vet before applying ivermectin. That treats visible parasites on the skin like ticks, or inside, like worms. You have a lot of questions and are making a lot of assumptions.
I haven't heard of internal parasites causing skin flaking.
Nothing will happen to you if you touch the pig after applying ivermectin.
Monthly ivermectin sounds excessive. My neighbor treats his cattle twice a year with pour on ivermectin and says he does not have a problem with ticks (and there are a lot in that area).

This is what I found:
Plumb's & 7th EditionPlumb's & 9th Edition
DSCN0400.JPG DSCN0401.JPG

The 300 microgram (0.3 mg/kg )dose is for the injectable product, but I guess you could try using the horse paste orally. If one has the 1.87% paste, the math is:
pounds divided by 2.2, times 0.3 (mg/kg), divided by 18.7 (mg/ml)

The 100 microgram (0.1 mg/kg )dose is given orally for seven consecutive days, If one has the 1.87% paste, the math is:
pounds divided by 2.2, times 0.1 (mg/kg), divided by 18.7 (mg/ml)

How much does she weigh? If 50 pounds:
50 / 2.2 x 0.3 / 18.7 = 0.36 ml ( I would round up to 0.4 ml) every 10-14 days for
50 / 2.2 x 0.1 / 18.7 = 0.12 ml for seven consecutive days

Back
Top Bottom