Horse Talk

And also, look at that face
IMG_5959.JPG

See I know I can control June, pretty much her only flaw is that when I do get nervous, she senses it so when I try stopping or turning her she'll toss her head, and that makes me more nervous because then I feel like she's gonna buck, even though I know she won't. Like she's the laziest horse in the world, I know if she trots or lopes she'll be ready to stop in like 30 seconds. And I've trained her from the ground up and have been riding her for over a year, and she's only "bucked" (if you can even call it that, it was so pathetic) one time, and it was the very first time that I pushed her into a lope. I also know that she's hard to spook. And she has a smooth lope, AND I can ride her at a trot bareback. So idk what my problem is. But last fall I had a small arena to practice in, I felt really safe there, all dirt, panels instead of barbed wire, no other horses, cows, or dogs in sight, I could really focus and it built my confidence, and I don't have that now. And I think in the back of my mind I'm also worried that she's going to be different after being with the trainer, especially since it's obviously that she worked a lot on speeding her up. But I gotta say, my biggest fear isn't going fast or falling, it's that if I do fall, that I'll get dragged lol how ridiculous is that!
But yes I know what you mean! My cousin would go out with me and push me and push me then when I finally made a break through she would cheer me on, and it was a great confidence booster. But she doesn't talk to my family any more, and I have no other horse loving friends or family members, besides my grandpa, but June gets so excited around him that she tunes me out lol.
Anyways, the stud is Smokin Blue Gun, he's in Montana

You can trot her BAREBACK?!?
:th
I hate bareback. :lol: Especially when i'm riding stubborn horses *glares at Zailey*
SMoke has the worst trot ever. XD Especially when he's nervous, whihc is most of the time. :rolleyes: I TOTALLY get the whole head tossing thing. Freaks me out when any horse tosses their head while I'm on em.

I bet my deal with Smoke is that little, em, brain trauma awhile back. I wasn't riding him, and he's pretty much over plastic bags now (at least he's not quite as dramatic about them), but.... i guess my subconscience remembers it. :? :confused:

I LOVE HIM. :love:love:love:love

She is :hit that's why I'm so frustrated with myself. I can't imagine how nervous I'd be if I had a bad horse lol.
June is definitely a once in a life time horse, I've had a lot of horses before her, and I've gotten a lot of horses since, and not a single one compares. I mean, how many 4 year olds do you know that have been broke by a nervous wreck who's first lope was also the horses first lope, yet will be a perfect angel and take 5-8 year old kids on their first ride?!
I'm just gonna list all her good points as a reminder to myself and maybe I won't be so nervous next time. Let's see
• she will load in a trailer if I point and say "in"
•I can catch and tack her up in a wide open field
•she comes when I whistle now
•I took her on a trail ride one day and thought she looked really pretty while we were out in the completely non-fenced field far from home, so I untacked her to take pictures and she never tried to wander from me
•she's given my grandpa (has a bad back) and my little cousins who are 5, 6, 7, and 8 rides and done whatever they asked
•only one little buck the whole time I've had her and it was kind of expected
•was calm and listened good the first time we rode down a road (when we got lost in the creek lol)
•will ride over logs and through ponds
•does circles at liberty
•can swing a rope off her, stand up on her, pretty much whatever you wanna do lol
•will gently pluck the hat from my grandpas head
•always comes to the fence to kiss me as soon as she sees me
Okay, I feel more trusting already haha I forget how sweet she is sometimes, I had to remind myself. I could really only think of 3 bad qualities, the occasional head tossing, sometimes she stubborn and decides not to move at all so I have to use the riding crop, and you have to use literally all your strength to hold her feet up when you pick them up because she won't put any effort into it.

I can imagine that being Ms. Arrogant Arabian here pretty soon. She sounds SO CHILL. :th
The one thing keeping Smoke from being straight up awesome is that he is a DRAMA QUEEEEN. Like, SUPERMEGAULTRACRAZYINSANE, Drama queen. -_-
That, and he really only likes me.... he tolerates other short people (LOL he hates Mr. Gerry), but once he realizes that it isn't me on his back h gets super tense. :/

It took a lot of practice! And I'll only do it in an arena and I hold onto her mane for dear life lol but yes I can, I actually don't mind it, I've been told she has a rough trot, but I trotted around on her bareback one day in the arena for over an hour, my butt never got sore, I actually like riding that way, just need to work on my balance a little more.
And that totally makes sense, dang subconsciouses, maybe we could get them removed and we wouldn't be nervous anymore

I can imagine that being Ms. Arrogant Arabian here pretty soon. She sounds SO CHILL. :th
The one thing keeping Smoke from being straight up awesome is that he is a DRAMA QUEEEEN. Like, SUPERMEGAULTRACRAZYINSANE, Drama queen. -_-
That, and he really only likes me.... he tolerates other short people (LOL he hates Mr. Gerry), but once he realizes that it isn't me on his back h gets super tense. :/
lol I'm convinced geldings are drama queens! Everyone says they're the better behaved ones but I'm not buying, I don't know if I will ever ride Indie because he's sooooo dramatic.
And June's the same way, she doesn't like any other person to ride her unless it's my grandpa or the kids, and when the kids are on her she will occasionally look at me for reassurance lol.
But I bet Amira will be like June! It seems like the more aloof they are the more chill they are when riding, Amire might have a little more pep in her step though, June is lazy

lol I'm convinced geldings are drama queens! Everyone says they're the better behaved ones but I'm not buying, I don't know if I will ever ride Indie because he's sooooo dramatic.
And June's the same way, she doesn't like any other person to ride her unless it's my grandpa or the kids, and when the kids are on her she will occasionally look at me for reassurance lol.
But I bet Amira will be like June! It seems like the more aloof they are the more chill they are when riding, Amire might have a little more pep in her step though, June is lazy

YES. I've only had one other gelding besides Smoke, and he was an AWESOME horse, but all that crap about "moody mares"? PALEEZ. Out of the six horses I've had, Ginger is the moodiest, but i don't really care cuz she's old. XD

"Pep in her step" is what concerns me. XD She can make tracks when she wants to, thats for sure. XD
I've noticed she canters really weird though..... like, her back legs don't ever go behind her. :hmm

It took a lot of practice! And I'll only do it in an arena and I hold onto her mane for dear life lol but yes I can, I actually don't mind it, I've been told she has a rough trot, but I trotted around on her bareback one day in the arena for over an hour, my butt never got sore, I actually like riding that way, just need to work on my balance a little more.
And that totally makes sense, dang subconsciouses, maybe we could get them removed and we wouldn't be nervous anymore
Last time i rode bareback was when we first got Smoke and i HATED IT. He was doing that annoying "speed walking instead of trotting" and it was sooooo SOOOO rough. :barnie I bet i could ride him bareback in the roundpen though, at a walk. XD

YESSS XD. Little dude's been limping at a trot lately too, so i've been using that as an excuse. :oops:: :lol:

June's back legs barely come out behind her when she lopes, she looks like a little stubby midget when she does it lol, but despite her supposed rough trot, my cousin also told me that she has the smoothest lope she's ever ridden (and she's ridden a lot of horses), so who knows, maybe Amira will be smooth too!
And I don't like the fast walk either! Lol. When I'm riding bareback I love making June trot really really slow, it makes me feel fancy haha

You can trot her BAREBACK?!?
:th

Sorry, that just made me laugh. I ride in a saddle or bareback, no real difference. I've even jumped about 3 feet bareback and raced across open pastures at a fast canter (I don't let Wings gallop with me, his high gear is WAY too fast for me to trust him not to fall on his clumsy face).
Sword fighting (with crops) bareback is a great way to get a good seat. Either that or you fall off. With the horses jumping away from each other and bashing into each other, you learn to move with the horse. You also get distracted and forget you have reins and just drop them on the horses neck at a canter while dodging the other horse...
I don't have anyone brave enough to play with me though so I'm rusty.

She is :hit that's why I'm so frustrated with myself. I can't imagine how nervous I'd be if I had a bad horse lol.
June is definitely a once in a life time horse, I've had a lot of horses before her, and I've gotten a lot of horses since, and not a single one compares. I mean, how many 4 year olds do you know that have been broke by a nervous wreck who's first lope was also the horses first lope, yet will be a perfect angel and take 5-8 year old kids on their first ride?!
I'm just gonna list all her good points as a reminder to myself and maybe I won't be so nervous next time. Let's see
• she will load in a trailer if I point and say "in"
•I can catch and tack her up in a wide open field
•she comes when I whistle now
•I took her on a trail ride one day and thought she looked really pretty while we were out in the completely non-fenced field far from home, so I untacked her to take pictures and she never tried to wander from me
•she's given my grandpa (has a bad back) and my little cousins who are 5, 6, 7, and 8 rides and done whatever they asked
•only one little buck the whole time I've had her and it was kind of expected
•was calm and listened good the first time we rode down a road (when we got lost in the creek lol)
•will ride over logs and through ponds
•does circles at liberty
•can swing a rope off her, stand up on her, pretty much whatever you wanna do lol
•will gently pluck the hat from my grandpas head
•always comes to the fence to kiss me as soon as she sees me
Okay, I feel more trusting already haha I forget how sweet she is sometimes, I had to remind myself. I could really only think of 3 bad qualities, the occasional head tossing, sometimes she stubborn and decides not to move at all so I have to use the riding crop, and you have to use literally all your strength to hold her feet up when you pick them up because she won't put any effort into it.

And also, look at that face
View attachment 1055417

Wow! She really is the perfect horse! Especially being so young! I didn't realize she was so young. Aren't young, green horses supposed to be spooky brats? :lau

And about geldings, idk, I used to ride and really only rode geldings and they were all great. I did ride one mare though and she was amazing too. There was another but idk if I ever tried riding her. I don't think so.

There was Bubba, a like 24 or older yr old quarter horse but he was like 16 hands. He loved me and was amazing. But he also knew all the tricks having been a lesson horse for so long. Great for beginners but once you had been riding longer he started testing you lol he did a little half buck thing once and sometimes if he didn't wanna do something he'd start walking backwards or diagonal or stop. He didn't do that to me often though. HOWEVER. Once you worked through the problems and he realized you weren't going to let him get away with it, he would do anything for you. He was a pretty hard worker, just a little lazy lol but he took care of his rider, especially on trail rides. One time I rode him and I fell off because we went up a little hill and I had bad balance. Poor guy was sooo worried about me and stood over me! I was crying cause it was on rocks and I'm a baby LOL but I was fine. He didn't know what he did wrong or why I was crying. He was good boy. And like my instructor sad, if he was being a brat, he would have run off down the trail but he didn't. I got back on him and rode back to the barn. But eventually my anxiety got really bad and I wasn't allowed on trail rides anymore lol but anyway, one time, some older lady had come that morning to try him out for a lease but I guess he HATED her, she had really rough hands or something, idk. So anyway, he tried bucking (he can't really cause he's too old but he tries) and she got scared and stopped and got off. So then on my ride later that afternoon, he tried that with me because it worked with her. I was a little bit scared but I worked through it, took maybe 15 minutes, maybe longer, and then we had an amazing ride after that. He was a good boy and even from the very first times I started there, she said he loved me. I guess he just tolerates a lot of people but with me, he actually loved me :love

Then there was Trevor or Tucker or Tyler or something with a T lol I don't really remember. He was also a QH I think??? Or TB but was huge too. He was calm and relaxed and a good boy and good horse to ride. But he also had like no personality lol I didn't ride him much then someone from the barn bought him and he even stayed there but then she got kind of weird and stopped letting her use him for lessons?

Then there was Ricky or Micky the 5 year old Morgan. He was amazing and a baby. Sometimes he would zig zag around the ring but that was because he was a horse who really need clear direction on what to do, he was a baby. So it was my fault. But being so young, he didn't know how to be bad yet so it was nice. I didn't ride him much either but he was a fun horse to ride, especially with that quick Morgan trot. I had to post faster/work harder but it was fun.

Then there was a draft horse she bought after I'd been there a bit. He was 6 but had lived with a rooster in NH lol he was also a baby and was sooooo comfy to ride. Had such smooth gaits and of course just was like fatter and more cushy being a draft lol however he could be a little pushy on the ground/didn't have the best ground manners having lived with a rooster.

Then there was Daisy a smaller quarter horse. She was like the energizer bunny LOL the other horses would try to slow down or get out of work but she would just keep going until you told her to stop. So sometimes I'd go for a ride rather than actuallt riding, kinda go on autopilot. Lol and I never rode her on trails cause she was a little naughty sometimes but she could trail and still have energy lol

The other horses were good to practice not being on autopilot LOL

I started with Bubba then Daisy and she didn't like many people but liked me.

She did have this bad habit though of biting the air when you cinched the girth but she was hit in the head with a 2x4 some I think and kneed in the stomach when they (old owners) cinched the girth so it makes sense.

I rode the others as I gained more experience and confidence.

I loved them all.

And they were all different, like different flavors lol, so I got different experiences and stuff

Back
Top Bottom