Horse Talk

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by abigalerose, Feb 22, 2016.

1. abigalerose

abigalerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    Okay so I have some news. I went to the rescue that I got Phoenix from today, and originally I was going to look at that bay mustang mare, but it turns out a different horse picked me. So I'll be trading in Phoenix tomorrow, and I'll probably cry, but it's for the best, and I think this horse will get along well with June. She's a very sweet, gentle, 7 year old Missouri Fox Trotter mare, she's 15 hands and broke to ride, but she's trained really weird. She is voice command only and hard to turn, they think she was a show horse. She's is so beautiful and sooo skinny. And she picks up one foot and will hold up, I'll have to figure out why and what the command is for it, but it's cute. I'm pretty sad and excited right now, all mixed together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    She's gorgeous! I'd cry, too...

3. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Yeah it's gonna be an emotional day tomorrow for sure. But she is cute, I'll have to figure out all her commands, they don't know what the command for left and right is yet, and the whole foot thing.

4. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Try gee and haw for left and right if she had an elderly owner. My grandparents are convinced that's how you "steer" the horse :gig

5. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Haha okay I'll give it a try, voice commands are scary, what if some weirdo trained her to rear on haw?! Lol. Kidding but you never know. They said she was raised on a breeding farm in Louisiana I think and then sent to auction when their farm flooded

6. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    hmm... you gota point there :p
    I don't know... maybe just play around with stuff... see if you can get her to turn with lots of different words. I just read that horse's don't recognize actual words, but tone of voice, si maybe that will help.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Gee and haw are the time tested, tried and true for driving animals (not just horses, but other things like oxen and dogs). The foot could just be a nervous habit, kind of like pawing - I have known horses that stood like that the entire time they were eating their feed, and some that pawed so much, we had to pull a stall mat tight into the corner below the feeder, or they'd dig a deep hole under the feeder while they ate.

She's thin, but I have seen worse - how long has the rescue had her? At least you know that the rescue will do right by Phoenix; that was something that always worried me whenever a horse was sold.

8. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Yes, I was only kidding about the gee and haw! I bet that's what it is. When I told my grandpa about her he figured it was gee and haw too. And I asked the rescue lady just never if she's ever tried it and she said no, so that's probably why they've been having trouble getting her to turn. The foot thing almost seems like something to get treats, except when I told her to back up and put a little pressure on her she would back up from the pressure and then lift a foot, so maybe back up sound like foot up? Anyways, I think she will be fun to figure out. And what's the best/safest way to put weight on her?

9. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Sorry, don't know why "just never" is in that sentence lol.
    They also said they have never round penned her, so I guess I'll have to see what all she knows on the ground, she seems smart and well trained though. I'm betting with some good exercise, ground work, light riding, and the right feed, she'll muscle up and fill out and be beautiful.
    I'm sad that I'm not going to own a mustang anymore, but also excited to learn about gaited horses.
    I think she'll be pretty great once she gets healthy and we figure out all her commands. And I won't have to worry about her mounting June. I've got some good quality feed with molasses in it, should I get some good Timothy hay? And should I turn her out to pasture right away or no?

10. chicken19

chicken19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Wow! I just caught up on everything here.
    It's great about June canering! And I'm so excited to learn about this new horse but make sure that the leg she holds up isn't from lameness!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by