Horses around the world!

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 3, 2019
I’m curious since this is an international forum, what horses are most common where you live? The most common that I’m around, living in north Georgia, USA, is the American quarter horse, Appaloosas, various warmbloods, and thoroughbreds. Where I live, I’ve never seen an Irish cob, shire, Marwari (however these are extremely rare so that’s not surprising), Holsteiner, Andalusian, cream draft, and many many many more. Those are just ones I want to see. So tell me, what breeds are most common in your area? What’re your favorite breeds of horses?

I live in SoCal and I’ve noticed certain areas where there seems to be a lot of one breed. In the more “rural” areas, there’s a lot of quarter horses, in the more expensive areas, there’s warmbloods (mainly Dutch), in the predominantly Spanish-speaking areas there’s an abundance of PREs, and everywhere there seems to be plenty of thoroughbreds.

My favorite breed has to be a POA because two of them have stolen my heart of the years 🥰

I live in SoCal and I’ve noticed certain areas where there seems to be a lot of one breed. In the more “rural” areas, there’s a lot of quarter horses, in the more expensive areas, there’s warmbloods (mainly Dutch), in the predominantly Spanish-speaking areas there’s an abundance of PREs, and everywhere there seems to be plenty of thoroughbreds.

My favorite breed has to be a POA because two of them have stolen my heart of the years 🥰
Thoroughbreds everywhere! I’m partial to a particular line of American warmbloods since that’s where my boy is from. Do you have pictures???

I’m curious since this is an international forum, what horses are most common where you live? The most common that I’m around, living in north Georgia, USA, is the American quarter horse, Appaloosas, various warmbloods, and thoroughbreds. Where I live, I’ve never seen an Irish cob, shire, Marwari (however these are extremely rare so that’s not surprising), Holsteiner, Andalusian, cream draft, and many many many more. Those are just ones I want to see. So tell me, what breeds are most common in your area? What’re your favorite breeds of horses?
I love horses! I don't have any (wish I did)
but I think they're incredible animals.
I live in the country, so there's a lot of Quarter horses. I've seen Arabians, POAs, a number of Shetlands, Thoroughbreds, Appaloosas, 1 Gypsy Vanner, and Clydesdales. That's all I can think of right now.
In other states, I've seen Belgian Drafts, Standardbreds, Percherons, and I'm sure many more that I can't think of atm.
My favorite breeds are Blue Roan anything, Connemaras, Spanish Barbs, Württembergers (esp. Bay), Orlov Trotters,
Sorraia ponies, Fjord ponies, and Dales ponies.
Though I'll probably never see any of these breeds in person, because I live in farm country in SD. Lol.

I love horses! I don't have any (wish I did)
but I think they're incredible animals.
I live in the country, so there's a lot of Quarter horses. I've seen Arabians, POAs, a number of Shetlands, Thoroughbreds, Appaloosas, 1 Gypsy Vanner, and Clydesdales. That's all I can think of right now.
In other states, I've seen Belgian Drafts, Standardbreds, Percherons, and I'm sure many more that I can't think of atm.
My favorite breeds are Blue Roan anything, Connemaras, Spanish Barbs, Württembergers (esp. Bay), Orlov Trotters,
Sorraia ponies, Fjord ponies, and Dales ponies.
Though I'll probably never see any of these breeds in person, because I live in farm country in SD. Lol.
Hey we can dream right? You never know who might come trotting by. I love blue roans as well. One of the horses I grew up on was a blue roan blanket Appaloosa mare.

Hey we can dream right? You never know who might come trotting by. I love blue roans as well. One of the horses I grew up on was a blue roan blanket Appaloosa mare.
Yep! I dream about horses all the time. I love the blue color in everything. Horses, chickens, eggs, clothes 😂

Great idea for a thread! There are lots of warmbloods for the dressage crowd around here. For everyone else it's quarter horses, paints, mustangs, Spanish Barbs, Arabians, burros, some Percheron crosses. We also see mares rescued from the Premarin industry and plenty of horses that get dumped in the desert after being used and abused in the illegal drug trade. 🤬 Quite a few minis, too (backyard breeders, ugh).

I'm very tall so I prefer larger breeds, especially Percherons. A big, gentle dapple gray Percheron mare is my dream horse. Second would be an Oldenberg gelding.

Personally, I love to ride draft horses. I had big Percherons for many years. They each were over six feet at the withers and weighed over a ton. If I were to buy a saddle horse I think I would try to find a Friesian. I have thought about trying to buy a retired Budweiser Clydesdale.

QHs, paints and TBs are the standard issue horses in my area. Occasionally you'll see a Warmblood say at a Dressage show, but you have to travel 1 hour to do so. It's a special treat to see a Norwegian Fjord or Iberian horse.

My favorite breed is the Friesian. (enthusiastically encourages @cassie to get one!) I worked with them as a teen and now finally own one. I couldn't be more happy. They are the breed for me! Flashy but sensible.

Back
Top Bottom