Horses, Heat and Heaves - update and pics of new foster 8/7

Poor horse. I think the best thing is to get the horse as comfortable as possible.

I don't know if the symptoms you see are very severe, or mild. But it does sound like the horse needs a vet visit and different medication. I am always a little anxious about giving dex regularly, though I think the every other day schedule is prescribed to minimize issues with it. The green discharge could be an infection or not significant. I'd have the vet out.

As I said I don't have a good picture of how severe the problem is, but always at the back of one's mind with the older horse is, what is the quality of his life. Is it at the point where the vet and I need to discuss the future. The way I look at it, horses don't mind looking old, being stiff or having some issues to deal with. I'm willing to go a long way to make those years comfortable as a way of saying 'thank you' for all the horse has done all his years. As I watch my old horse age I always think, how happy and comfortable he is. I am so fortunate and others are not so fortunate to have their horse's last years easy and full of fond memories and little discomfort. General Burton wrote a long article about his old horse...I was crying my eyes out by the time I finished it.

Thanks all. I contacted my vet and we put her on "One AC" - specific medication to restart the sweat in horses. My sweet, kind, thoughtful vet said "It generally works pretty quickly, day or 2 at most - but I know your luck so I need to be sure to tell you it can take up to 2 weeks". LOL
Once she starts to sweat again, the doc said we will re-evaluate her other meds to see if she needs a change. I only started her on Tri-Hist Friday evening, so it needs another day or 2 as well.

We rearranged the fan in the barn - her big stall isn't insulated so it was like an oven, but the stall across the alley has a bit of top insulation and is a little cooler so we hung the fan in there.
ETA - we are also still hosing her down about every hour and 1/2 - she has started coming to the pecan tree by the gate where we do it and waiting for us.
smile.png

ETA (again
tongue.png
) - Believe me I know about deciding on quality of life. It stinks. The Saturday after Thanksgiving last year, I had to make that decision for my 30yr old mare. She just wasted away to nothing. Fed 3x the amount I fed Skye, on $70 / mth meds... and just absolutely bones. She was content enough following Skye around (pasture mates for 21yrs), until that day she lay down and couldn't get back up. We worked to get her up, the vet came and gave her meds and worked to get her up --- and then Babe gave me "the look" that says "I quit. I'm tired, and I am ready to quit". Horrible stuff, saying goodbye.

On another note.... my foster status is about to be reactivated, sadly there have been more horses seized. A 14yr old paint mare, and a 30 yr old mare - both starved to the point of walking skeletons. I don't know where I am in the rotation, but I would kind of like the old gal, since I have had a geriatric home here the last few years (Had a 31yr old gelding a fews ago, colicked and had to put him down)

Last edited:
There's an extra nice spot in heaven for horse fosterers, you know
smile.png

It's so nice to know someone is out there looking out for the horses that need some help.

Have you tried placing a simple misting system in her stall to keep her cool on really hot days? Something on a timer, that will give her well needed relief but not soak her.

thanks, WSC

Nope, haven't put anything but the fans in the barn - dirt floor would be mud. But I did go this evening and buy soaker hoses to run through low tree branches.
Last night at 3am the heat index was 97*. Today at noon it was 116*. A big storm blew up, but never broke - at least it brought some major wind and cloud cover though!

I meant to add these photos yesterday, but didn't think of it until I got to work and didn't have a way to put them up (cell phone pics)

Skye had a rough night. Called the vet this morning and he said give these meds a few more days to work. I sprayed her down and led her to the barn / fan, she has been in there for a while now.

Got the email today - I am not getting either mare. I am getting a yearling that has been in county custody since about March. It's been a very long time since there has been a youngster here!

(in case it slips by you - I LOVE storms and clouds)

51084_photo445fb.jpg

51084_photo444fb.jpg

51084_photo443fb.jpg

51084_photo442fb.jpg

51084_photo441fb.jpg

51084_photo440fb.jpg

51084_fbclouds.jpg

When I first got Skye 22yrs ago, she was a dark blue roan about the color of some of those clouds - thus "Skye"

She is still having trouble. Seems the TriHist is not working on her heaves (still coughing, occasional snotty nose). She hasn't started sweating yet (despite the 112* heat index) but the vet said it may take 2 weeks for that medicine to kick in, and I just started her Monday... so not quite a week gone by. Yesterday I picked up a new med for her heaves ... Ventipulmin... and started her on it this morning. If no improvement in 3 days, I up the doseage and call my vet - again. (sick animals in spades - had to take my little cat to the vet with a 106 temp yesterday. She will be there for the weekend).

In the meantime though..... my new foster "Buddy" came on Thursday. He is in the introduction pen while my old mare is up in my yard for now. If this med settles her breathing I will move them closer.

Any ideas on breeds? His dam was a quarter horse no clue on the sire. I am thinking QH. He is about 16 months old and a little stunted from starvation. Sweet guy!

51084_watchin.jpg

51084_buddysm.jpg

51084_buddy_day_1.jpg

ETA : Skye 28yr old TW / Arab x... not so dark blue anymore lol
51084_skye.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom