Horses!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ederob, Mar 19, 2013.

1. IrishAcreFarm

IrishAcreFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    I love nose pics, so cute!!!

2. PBGGG

PBGGG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Maine
    Haha thanks. I had to take the pictures quickly though, Arizona tried biting the camera.

3. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    I will definitely get in tough with the vet. I will start touching her udder and looking at it. I am so nervous!
    Poor girl!

4. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    I have her in a large stall. I have shavings in the stall right now, but I will take them out. Thanks!
    Alright thanks!
    Alright thanks. I tried squirting milk our but nothing came out. She does not have a wax cover and she is due tomorrow. Should I be worried? Thanks for the red bubble advice! I will definitely watch out for that.
    really beautiful horses! I love the paint! lady brave heart is beautiful!

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    With horses, due dates are just an average. They can go earlier or later; it is far better that the foal be born "late" than early. While there are certain signs and behaviors that often indicate that the mare is getting close, the gals don't read the books, and each mare is different. Until you have experience with one particular mare, you can't know what she will do. Some mares wax up a lot; mini mares often don't wax at all. Some mares drip milk for days, a few don't really get a filled-in udder until the are very close. Maiden mares are particularly difficult to figure out, since they haven't a clue, either!

6. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree. Miki was over a week late and we knew her breeding date to the minute. I wouldn't try to express milk too much. That first milk is loaded with colostrum and necessary for the foal's antibodies.

7. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Ederob thank you, she was about 350-400 pounds underweight and hadd no muscles. We adopted her from houston spca and she is on tv every now and then.

8. PBGGG

PBGGG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Maine
    Ugh, Arizona is being very bratty lately. Yesterday my dad went outside to pet them and such, and Arizona first bit him, then turned around and almost kicked him! Her legs were actually off the ground! Its weird because she was being such a sweet baby in the morning.

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    How old is Arizona? Horses being herd animals, they observe a pecking order within their group. They include us in their "herd," and they don't always understand that we are at the top of that pecking order. This can be especially true with young horses.

When my mini Syd turned 2 years old, she decided that she wanted to be the "boss mare." My mini mule Betsy was OK with that, but when Syd tried to be the boss with me, I let her know that was a major mistake. We got that matter straight very quickly! Around here, we jokingly refer to Syd as "Syd, the Man-eating Mini," because over the years, she has tried to be the boss with everybody - especially children. I told my daughter (who was about 7 years old at the time), "I can tell Syd how to behave with me, and I can tell her that such behavior toward you won't fly when I'm around, but only you can tell Syd how to behave toward you when I'm not around. Syd is the kind that needs everybody to remind her that she's a horse, and humans always outrank her." [​IMG]

Syd has gotten a lot better over the years, and DD has been a large part of that. We did a pony party a few weeks ago, and one of my "mental snapshots" was of Syd standing with half a dozen small children petting her, and her behaving beautifully.[​IMG]

10. PrettyHorsez

PrettyHorsez Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    This is not my horse, nor my photo i found it online but i thought i was beautiful.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by