Hose water / Tap water / Chlorine etc

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
I fill my ducks/chickens/geese's waters daily with fresh water from the hose.
I was wondering about the chlorine in it. For my dogs and my houseplants I let water sit out 24 hours before using it.
Should we be doing that for our poultry as well? To let chlorine dissipate?

Personally I wouldn't bother, but if it makes you feel better, then go ahead. Chlorine levels are not likely to be high - especially by the time it's travelled through a bacteria- ridden hosepipe.

I fill my ducks/chickens/geese's waters daily with fresh water from the hose.
I was wondering about the chlorine in it. For my dogs and my houseplants I let water sit out 24 hours before using it.
Should we be doing that for our poultry as well? To let chlorine dissipate?
I don't think you have to worry about it. However if it eases your mind you can always use a charcoal filter. They make one for the hose.

Camco TastePURE Camper/RV Water Filter & Hose Protector | Inline Water Filter Reduces Bad Taste, Odor, Chlorine & Sediment | Ideal for RVs, Campers, Travel Trailers, Boats | Made in the USA (40043)

Last edited:
Since this post woke up, I'll jump in just to add that I know you shouldn't do fermenting with chlorinated water. That I would let sit out, but probably not for chickens/ducks. We have well water though.

I just saw what advice @U_Stormcrow gave someone here regarding chorine.

In this case, I'd be more concerned with what may leach from the hose itself than the chemicals added to a municipal supply. Do you let your own personal water set?
in the house we have a filter under the sink for all the water we use for drinking and cooking

Yeah there could be more concern from what the hose is leeching into that water. I used to use a hose to fill their waterers now I've gotten in the habit of just filling them directly from the spigot.

Yeah there could be more concern from what the hose is leeching into that water. I used to use a hose to fill their waterers now I've gotten in the habit of just filling them directly from the spigot.
I'd be more concerned with what may leach from the hose itself
They sell drinking water safe hoses.

Camco TastePURE 35-Foot Premium Camper/RV Drinking Water Hose | Features a Heavy-Duty No-Kink Design with Strain Relief Ends & 5/8-Inch Inside Diameter | NSF Drinking Water Safe Certified (22843)

Combined with the filter will make your task a lot simpler.

Camco TastePURE Camper/RV Water Filter & Hose Protector | Inline Water Filter Reduces Bad Taste, Odor, Chlorine & Sediment | Ideal for RVs, Campers, Travel Trailers, Boats | Made in the USA (40043)

Back
Top Bottom