Hosing down the girls in HOT Weather.......YAY or NAY

I do the mud puddle thing and it works great. I also had no luck with frozen water bottles... they looked at them like they were plague carrying varmits. I also refill the water bowls 2-3 times a day depending on the heat. we've been near 100 lately and they seem to enjoy the puddles the best. They dig down and make themselves a nice little bowl in the dirt under the grapevine shade and hang out. I like the frozen leftover idea. May have to try that out.

I"m going to post this in all the heat-related threads just to be sure to get the message out.

I installed a mister in one of my runs yesterday. Today was the first time I have seen them NOT PANTING in well over a week. I was delighted, and I'm sure they were too.

It might take them a bit to get used to it. They were leery of it and all the bravest one were hanging back in the coop or out in the other, less shady run. So today I spread a bunch of scratch in the run and waited for them all to be out in it and too jazzed about the scratch to care about anything, and I turned the mister on. That did the trick--they got used to it and then hung out there the rest of the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom