Hot summer, over 100F. Okay for chicken brooder?

ChickenLord33

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
We live in Texas and it's been over 100F towards 106F+ for over a month. We just got some new baby chicks in and I have been keeping them at 95F with a heat lamp for certain hours of the night but during the day the lamp is off because it's nearly 100F in their brooder.

Is this going to be a problem? They are under the patio by our house but even in the shade it is hot. What do you do in this situation and how do I handle this when I am supposed to bring the temp down every week? I do not have a garage that is cooled.

They're going to acclimate to the temperatures you currently have, can't be helped. That does mean that they'll be fully off heat very quickly. Even if you raised them in a cooler area like an air conditioned room when you go to put them outside they'd still need to reacclimate to outside temperatures, just they'd be higher temps instead of lower.

They're going to acclimate to the temperatures you currently have, can't be helped. That does mean that they'll be fully off heat very quickly. Even if you raised them in a cooler area like an air conditioned room when you go to put them outside they'd still need to reacclimate to outside temperatures, just they'd be higher temps instead of lower.
Thank you for your reply! I put a thermostat on their brooder light so I dont have to monitor them every night and so I dont have to worry about it getting too cold at night or too hot in the morning. Appreciate your input!

I have a mama hen with chicks, and it’s over 100º outside, has been for several days, and they are just fine. They don’t go under mama. It’s 104º right now… IMG_5094.jpeg

I think it can depend on age too, mine needed help cooling down at 6 weeks in 100F. I brought them inside when one of them started drooping his wings slightly to cool off.

They seem to display similar behaviors to full-sized chickens who are overheating so just look out for anything like that. Constant panting/drooping wings. Some people give their chicks electrolyte water in heat like that too to help assist them. 🤷‍♀️

I think it can depend on age too, mine needed help cooling down at 6 weeks in 100F. I brought them inside when one of them started drooping his wings slightly to cool off.

They seem to display similar behaviors to full-sized chickens who are overheating so just look out for anything like that. Constant panting/drooping wings. Some people give their chicks electrolyte water in heat like that too to help assist them. 🤷‍♀️
Poor girls, I definitely can relate. I feel so bad for our big girls out in the barn. It's gotta be up to 110F sometimes out there, nearly all day for the last 60 days (at least over 100).

Here is what I do to keep them cool:
-Fresh tray of water every morning for them to wade in (18" tray, ~4" deep)
-2 frozen 1gal containers of water on the ground that they can sit around and stand on (sometimes I swap them out for fresh ones halfway through the day)
-Frozen water treat "pucks" up to 2x a day (shallow container of refreshing fruits/veggies like watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, any scraps around the house-- cover with water and freeze. Crack it up into a few chunks and spread it around the coop so everyone has a chance). I always have about 6 of these ready to go in the freezer.
-No corn in the scratch
-Hose down the area near the coop with water to help cool the air down, I also hose down the barn walls (which are sheet metal) and the interior of the coop so that their feet get wet. It also helps keep the ground cool so that when they sunbathe there is a cooler layer beneath the surface. 1-2 times a day.

I used to use a big box fan, and I would still consider it for temps in the 90's, but when it's over 100F it feels like the box fan just turns the barn into a dehydrator. The air is too hot, so I dont use it when it's so hot. They also usually have a breeze, so that's helpful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom